Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Members,

I have small doubt regarding dress code. What will be the attire for women for an interview in Australia for 457 dependent visa holder to work. Can people especially ladies from India can wear there salwars????

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Dress code will probably depend on the organisation and position, e.g. if you're applying for a corporate finance position you should probably wear more corporate attire vs. a job at McDonalds you could dress more business casual.

I don't have enough experience to know whether traditional clothing would be considered an issue. I'd suggest you err on the conservative side and wear either a skirt/blouse or dress pants/blouse for an interview. After being hired, you can investigate whether there is any dress code policy. I know the organisation I work with the official dress code is business casual and there would be no issue with someone wearing traditional clothing.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That said...if you turn up to an interview in traditional clothes it might lock you out of the job...similarity if you dress in corporate wear and turn up in traditional clothes after getting the job you might find yourself on notice.

We had a situation with a doctor who dressed corporate for interview, got the job and then turned up to work in a small practice in casual clothes...he was given notice to return to the style he wore at interview or leave. The thought was, he knew what was expected because he wore those clothes at interview...that is the style that was accepted and he decided to change this to casual. There was no "policy" as there were only 5-10 staff employed. It's bait and switch . If you were to bring it up in interview either it will be accepted or a new policy on dress will be put in place to not allow it.
I have only seen indian dressed women working in dress shops, supermarkets and libraries myself. We have 130 or so indian ladies in our corporate network and none were traditional dress.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi Members,

I have small doubt regarding dress code. What will be the attire for women for an interview in Australia for 457 dependent visa holder to work. Can people especially ladies from India can wear there salwars????
I have seen girls wearing salwaar or kurta, and it looks so odd. If you're in Australia,
forget your Indian dresses or Indian formals and wear what Australians wear.
NO offence to anyone.

Just my thought. !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
That said...if you turn up to an interview in traditional clothes it might lock you out of the job...similarity if you dress in corporate wear and turn up in traditional clothes after getting the job you might find yourself on notice.

We had a situation with a doctor who dressed corporate for interview, got the job and then turned up to work in a small practice in casual clothes...he was given notice to return to the style he wore at interview or leave. The thought was, he knew what was expected because he wore those clothes at interview...that is the style that was accepted and he decided to change this to casual. There was no "policy" as there were only 5-10 staff employed. It's bait and switch . If you were to bring it up in interview either it will be accepted or a new policy on dress will be put in place to not allow it.
I have only seen indian dressed women working in dress shops, supermarkets and libraries myself. We have 130 or so indian ladies in our corporate network and none were traditional dress.
I wear a head scarf as per my religious attire. I am worried now after reading your post, I used to work in Birmingham in one of the biggest audit firm and never faced such discrimination. Are you telling that if I tend to wear my religious attire I would be told to leave :( .

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wear a head scarf as per my religious attire. I am worried now after reading your post, I used to work in Birmingham in one of the biggest audit firm and never faced such discrimination. I am coming down to NSW and was very happy to be posted here by my firm. Are you telling that if I tend to wear my religious attire I would be told to leave :( .
Hi,
Just giving my opinion. I have never been to Australia, but having been to other western countries, I feel that people would understand the head scarf as a religious attire. Other people who share your faith would be following the same practice in Australia as well I guess. However, if you wore a salwar and Kurta in a financial institution you may stand out and that may not be the accepted generally in your institution.

But as you said your firm is posting you in NSW, It would be better to get in touch with someone in your firm in Australia and ask them the accepted attire. The members in this forum can only give you the general guidelines. Your firm can give you a more specific answer to your question on their dress code.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I wear a head scarf as per my religious attire. I am worried now after reading your post, I used to work in Birmingham in one of the biggest audit firm and never faced such discrimination. Are you telling that if I tend to wear my religious attire I would be told to leave :( .
A head scarf no issue at all. The type that you can only see your eyes...yes that would be an issue. Of our 130 or so Asian staff about 20-30 wear headscarves no issue at all. Indian national dress is completely different. Walk down any street now and there are women with headscarves - they don't turn any heads

·
Registered
Pakistan
1 Posts
hi,
Answering your question I will say that yes you can wear that dress during work. There are only a few organizations that not allow wearing shalwar kameez but most allow you to wear. Most of the Indian and Pakistani dressings are wearable in other countries.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts