Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm off tomorrow to do some shopping for my weekend camping + hiking trip. I'm planning on getting a tent, sleeping bag, maybe a foldable chair, a sturdy hiking bagpack (to carry most of this stuff), and hiking boots.

I'm on a VERY tight budget, and after looking through Mirdiff City Centre stores, I've decided to head to Dubai Outlet Mall and Dragonmart. I've heard mixed reviews about Dragonmart, but I might have a browse around anyway, since even the Carrefour camping equipment is China-made and is supposedly pretty good.

I'm thinking I should probably buy the hiking boots in the Outlet Mall, but the rest of the stuff I should get from Dragonmart.

Any recommendations, experiences, advice?

·
Registered
193 Posts
i) First and foremost - watch and listen to weather forecast. Informed friends or family the route you're taking? If you're alone - not a clever idea.

ii) Are you going to be packing extras (food/drink/emergencies) in case anything happen?

iii) What you pay is what you get out of those camping stuff - pick carefully when you gamble with quality over cost. Your camping gear must be able to help you survive outdoors especially during emergencies.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Spend as much as you can on ''GOOD" boots as this can be a life saver! And quality socks, wear them about the house before even thinking of going out into the wilds. When buying a ruc sack get try them on in the shop with some weight in

·
Registered
380 Posts
Another thing to think about is liquids as you will have to carry it all in, and liquids are heavy. You need to remember to keeps some back for your walk out.
When Im out in the wilds of the Highlands of Scotland I carry very little, as I can top up from streams, you are not going to find much like that out here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.