Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does Apec actually help people find a job?

Hello, I know that Pôle Emploi gives training for people to find a job, but I heard it's really generic and not for qualified people (at least with a masters). I know apec.fr announces jobs. But I see that there're Apec offices/centers as well, e.g. in Paris, and I was told orally (not found a proof of it online) that they help qualified people find jobs.

My questions are;
1) do they really help people find a job, like Pôle Emploi?
2) If yes, then how? Do they look at your CV, or give you training?

I'm also thinking about walking into their office in Paris and asking the same questions. But asking here first just in case my trip isn't a waste :)

Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
hello!

Can't help. re pole d'emploi........except go and see for yourself? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As a change management consultant I've helped many people wbo were made redundant (by my client!) to find a job...albeit in the UK. Job hunting is in itself "a job" and you need some skills and knowledge go do it well. Happy to help.....send me a pm if you wish.

Do you have a good (really good) cv and lettre de motivation in excellent French? That's your starting point. Did you get your masters in France?.....the answer might be relevant to your jobsearch.

DejW

Hello, I know that Pôle Emploi gives training for peopdle to find a job, but I heard it's really generic and not for qualified people (at least with a masters). I know apec.fr announces jobs. But I see that there're Apec offices/centers as well, e.g. in Paris, and I was told orally (not found a proof of it online) that they help qualified people find jobs.

My questions are;
1) do they really help people find a job, like Pôle Emploi?
2) If yes, then how? Do they look at your CV, or give you training?

I'm also thinking about walking into their office in Paris and asking the same questions. But asking here first just in case my trip isn't a waste :)

Thank you in advance!!

·
Administrator
53,147 Posts
It really depends on what you expect for "help" in finding a job.

APEC is an association, so they can be expected to have a bit of a different perspective from that of a for-profit recruiter. Pole Emploi is who you deal with if you've lost your job - and how helpful they are kind of depends on what sort of assistance you need. In either case, I suspect you ultimately need to go in to the offices and talk to them - though both organizations make their listings of job openings available online and offer their services for free. No reason not to register with both and see what develops.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

hello!

Can't help. re pole d'emploi........except go and see for yourself? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

As a change management consultant I've helped many people wbo were made redundant (by my client!) to find a job...albeit in the UK. Job hunting is in itself "a job" and you need some skills and knowledge go do it well. Happy to help.....send me a pm if you wish.

Do you have a good (really good) cv and lettre de motivation in excellent French? That's your starting point. Did you get your masters in France?.....the answer might be relevant to your jobsearch.

DejW
Thanks for your answer! I believe I've a really good CV in English (I did get calls from some companies before and interviewed with them, so I don't think the language isn't exactly a barrier?). I don't get my Master's in France, but got a US Ph.D., and worked in both US and France.

I'll send you a pm, and would ask you how you help people to find a job tailored for them, and how much you charge. Thanks again!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It really depends on what you expect for "help" in finding a job.

APEC is an association, so they can be expected to have a bit of a different perspective from that of a for-profit recruiter. Pole Emploi is who you deal with if you've lost your job - and how helpful they are kind of depends on what sort of assistance you need. In either case, I suspect you ultimately need to go in to the offices and talk to them - though both organizations make their listings of job openings available online and offer their services for free. No reason not to register with both and see what develops.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev, by 'help' I meant the people at these associations (APEC more so than Pôle Emploi) look at my CV, and direct me to the right companies/research institutes that could use my skills etc, or can give me training (possibly for free, like Pôle Emploi) in case I lack some skills needed for specific kinds of jobs. I've done extensive job search for the past weven months on every major website (linkedin, apec, indeed, ABG,...) but somehow unsuccessfully.

I'll register with Pôle Emploi as soon as my job ends, and I'm familiar with how they work, because I used them once before, for a reason other than job search. But for Apec, I registered my CV, but not sure whether they give training for free like Pôle Emploi. But don't bother, I'll ask them directly.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Hello

We've discussed CVs in English and French before in this forum. There are cultural differences between the two. A good CV in English will not necessarily produce a good CV in French. (The only test of a good CV is whether it gets you an interview or not!)

Also there is the lettre de motivation which does not really exist in English.

I have ( or at least did have) expertise in English CVs - I was a business consultant in the UK and consultants live or die by the quality of their CV. However, I know enough about French CVs to ensure that I make no comment at all. I taught English CV writing to French students at a French business school. Sometimes the students asked me to comment on their French CV - and were disappointed when I refused. The cultural differences are subtle and it's dangerous for me to go outside my area of competence.

Other posters here may know more about Fr CVs.

DejW

Thanks for your answer! I believe I've a really good CV in English (I did get calls from some companies before and interviewed with them, so I don't think the language isn't exactly a barrier?). I don't get my Master's in France, but got a US Ph.D., and worked in both US and France.

I'll send you a pm, and would ask you how you help people to find a job tailored for them, and how much you charge. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.