Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Look at the first few rows. Were they segregated or did they choose to sit like that ?
This is an article from the DM after all...
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for such segregated events to take place in the UK. There have been public rows about such events being held at universities, of all places.
If thegathering is for purposes of religious ceremony, I can't see a problem. Orthodox Jews segregate the sexes in their synagogues during acts of worship.
But for all other gatherings it should surely be a big no- no.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for such segregated events to take place in the UK. There have been public rows about such events being held at universities, of all places.
If thegathering is for purposes of religious ceremony, I can't see a problem. Orthodox Jews segregate the sexes in their synagogues during acts of worship.
But for all other gatherings it should surely be a big no- no.
Yep, but I don't know if the women at this event were told to sit like that or chose to do so, and I think that makes a difference
What would have happened if one of them had wanted to move place or if I as a middle aged, white female had wanted to sit on either side? Would we have been permitted?

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Yep, but I don't know if the women at this event were told to sit like that or chose to do so, and I think that makes a difference
What would have happened if one of them had wanted to move place or if I as a middle aged, white female had wanted to sit on either side? Would we have been permitted?[/QUOTE

Frankly I can't imagine that any woman would freely choose to segregate herself unless she saw it as a condition of her religion.
The question should be 'What if a man of any ethnicity had sat next to one of these women?'

I think we know the answer. Unless this was some kind of religious gathering which I don't think it was then any segregation is imo impermissible.

Women - and men - haven't fought for equal status and respect to end up being treated as if each were plague carriers to the other. Not in western societies.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
What would have happened if one of them had wanted to move place or if I as a middle aged, white female had wanted to sit on either side? Would we have been permitted?[/QUOTE

Frankly I can't imagine that any woman would freely choose to segregate herself unless she saw it as a condition of her religion.
I'm not so sure
The question should be 'What if a man of any ethnicity had sat next to one of these women?'
Yes, that's a good question!
+++

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know it was the Mail but it is a valid story. Something that interested me as I did a lot of work with Asian women homeworkers and believe me it is even an achievement to get the male community to allow them to come along to a meeting. The men dominate the women and the Mosques dominate the men.

It isn't a one off story, as I said it has been happening for decades. Just not very PC to talk about it.

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
I know it was the Mail but it is a valid story. Something that interested me as I did a lot of work with Asian women homeworkers and believe me it is even an achievement to get the male community to allow them to come along to a meeting. The men dominate the women and the Mosques dominate the men.

It isn't a one off story, as I said it has been happening for decades. Just not very PC to talk about it.

Indeed.
I recall a very stormy meeting at the TUC with the self-elected Muslim Council of Britain to discuss a paper on combatting 'Islamophobia'. The Muslim group insisted on the inclusion of a passage which gave them the right to disapprove of what they called 'unacceptable lifestyles' which as is well-known means disapproval of gays and lesbians.
I wasn't having my choice of partner made analogous to my choice of style of knickers or hobbies and leisure pursuits and said so, forcefully. But no, it had to be left in the final document. The Muslim group wouldn't budge from their position.
So when the document was presented to Conference I got on my hind legs and asked for the offending words to be removed which it was agreed to do.
I guess I'm an Islamophobe. I'm also a Judaophobe and Christianophobe in that I will defend secular values over those of religious groups as long as I am able.
Of course I have been called a racist and other things but decades in politics has given me elephant hide skin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts