Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I dont know if this is the right place to ask... Im on spouse visa here in the uk, my visa will expire end of 2018 and im suffering with my husband who is british citizen, im really lost so i hope somebody can help me as i dont know the law here.
My husband is so agressive with me , he heated me so many times and he is always shouting and swearing at me, i cant handle his attitude anymore, i have a daughter who is 4 months now and he always treat me that if i call the police he will kill me and her, he always tell me that if social services get involved they will take her and send me back home, he is just taking advantage of my situation because i have no relatives in the uk and i dont know the system here.
Please if somebody can clarify that to me because i cant cope with him anymore and in the same time i dont want anybody to take my daughter away from me .
Thanks

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
No one should suffer domestic violence. You should go to Social Services for yourself and the safety of your child. SS will probably put you into a special house where you will be safe. Do you have a friend who could go with you for moral support?

Hopefully someone here can give information on your Visa and how you must act.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi, I dont know if this is the right place to ask... Im on spouse visa here in the uk, my visa will expire end of 2018 and im suffering with my husband who is british citizen, im really lost so i hope somebody can help me as i dont know the law here.
My husband is so agressive with me , he heated me so many times and he is always shouting and swearing at me, i cant handle his attitude anymore, i have a daughter who is 4 months now and he always treat me that if i call the police he will kill me and her, he always tell me that if social services get involved they will take her and send me back home, he is just taking advantage of my situation because i have no relatives in the uk and i dont know the system here.
Please if somebody can clarify that to me because i cant cope with him anymore and in the same time i dont want anybody to take my daughter away from me .
Thanks
I'm so so sorry this is happening to you. The best thing you can do is immediately consult a lawyer (you may be entitled to legal aid, so they can assist you at a reduced cost or for free if money will be an issue). I believe you can apply to stay in the UK if you are a survivor of domestic abuse, regardless of how long you have been in the country. It can be an extension and allow you to claim benefits if needed, or there is a possibility of indefinite leave to remain for those suffering from domestic violence, but this may mean you've needed to live in the country for some time, I'm not sure.

Here are some helpful links to get you started:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/f...rom-abroad-and-a-dependent-of-your-ex-partner

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-settle-in-uk-form-setdv

I would also recommend contacting social services in order to find a safe place for you and your child, or a friend you can truly trust to help you. If this is achievable then I would also highly recommend getting the police involved ASAP. I say this because if there are any questions about who is better suited to care for the child, if there is police documentation that your husband has assaulted you and threatened your lives then all the easier for any courts to decide you should be the sole guardian.

I also found these links:

https://www.gov.uk/visas-when-you-separate-or-divorce

This says you MUST inform the home office immediately if you separate from your partner, as that means you will then be in the country illegally. The site tells you what you need to send them and to where, as well as giving you the option of informing the home office that you do NOT want the details of the letter given to your ex-partner.

https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk...artner/you-re-the-victim-of-domestic-violence

This is how to start going about applying for settlement if you are the survivor of domestic violence.

Stay safe, read the above sites and get you and your child to a safe place.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with one of the other posts, that definitely go to Citizens Advice Bureau, it's free and they will be able to advise you on your rights. Does your daughter hold dual nationality? If not, and she is entitled, and you haven't yet applied, now might be a good time to do so.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

I can understand how scary it is when you don't know the legal system and 'workings' of the country you are living. I'm an expat abroad, and I don't have the worry that you have, but just trying to figure out things is hard.

Citizens Advice will be able to give you a lot of advice both legally, and maybe practically they can recommend some organisations that can accommodate mothers and their young children in a safe environment, away from abuse. Stay strong and focus on anything that you need to do to keep yourself and vulnerable infant safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everybody for the explanations,
My daughter is british citizen aswell but i haven't applied for her to get my nationality yet, I dont want to take any step before im sure that nobody will take my daughter away (i mean because im just on a spouse visa and she is british so maybe SS will take her of me and send me back to my home country ) i believe i need legal advice but at the moment i can't as my financial situation isn't good, i dont have close friends either so i cant rely on anybody for this.
I dont know what to start with and who to go to first, i have photos from several times with scares etc as proofs.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Your fear is understandable. Social Services will only separate a mother from children if the she is known to have abused them. This is not the case here and you should not worry. However, and as others have suggested a visit to Citizens Advice Bureau will put your mind at rest.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Agree with the others. Your husband is saying what many abusers say, that the police/government will hurt you if you complain.
In the UK, there are special protections to make sure someone with your problem can't be deported. Your husband is lying to you, he wants you to be afraid.

IF it is safe, keep a diary (online or paper) of your problems. If you go to the police, your husband will try to say it was only a couple of arguments. You might feel stressed and have a hard time remembering everything he has done.
only keep this diary if it is safe for you.

I hope you have a friend or person you can trust nearby. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.