Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am from India.
I have done MBA and doing online business (running several websites and earning advertising income from them) from the past 7 years and also have software skills. I earn over $5000 per month. And, I can work from anywhere in the world.

I have not registered my business in India as India doesn't require sole proprietorship to be registered.

I have never worked in any other company.

I would like to move to the US, or any developed country such as Australia, Canada, UK, Europe etc.. where most of the people speak English.

Other than trying to find jobs or to invest around a million dollars, is there any other easy way to move to any developed country?

Please suggest.

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why are you hoping to move? Is it for lower taxes, lower cost of living, specific climate, activities/amenities, or something else? There are loads of developed countries where you can get by just fine with English.

Also what citizenships do you have, what visas, and where are you living now? Also where did you get the MBA, and where did you get your undergraduate degree?

That's really cool to be in your situation, wish I had better programming skills... :)

Funny enough, all the countries you named are among my last choices to live among the developed countries. UK would be the worst IMO, Canada and Australia would not be desirable, Europe is very nice but mostly not english speaking (except the Netherlands, which is not bad) US could be ok in certain areas as long as they are far from New York, urban California, Connecticut, urban Florida, Washington DC, etc. Caribbean would be nice.

I'm wondering why you are not focusing on middle income countries which are warmer, have lower taxes on foreign income and where $5000 a month gets you a very comfortable lifestyle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are you hoping to move? Is it for lower taxes, lower cost of living, specific climate, activities/amenities, or something else?
I wish to live in a country with less population, better quality of living, good roads, clean environment, safety and security, low corruption, good climate etc.. compared to India.

Also what citizenships do you have, what visas, and where are you living now? Also where did you get the MBA, and where did you get your undergraduate degree?
I only have Indian citizenship and did my MBA, degree and all education in India. I have not tried to get any visa for any country so far.

all the countries you named are among my last choices to live among the developed countries.
what are your choices to live?

I'm wondering why you are not focusing on middle income countries which are warmer, have lower taxes on foreign income and where $5000 a month gets you a very comfortable lifestyle.
Can you please suggest me some such countries?

Thank you for your reply

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, ravikum, I do online business as well and I am moving to New Zealand. My decision is mostly a quality of life and love one, I can do the biz from anywhere. My girl is a resident already so my situation fits your's very little. But if your wish is to "live in a country with less population, better quality of living, good roads, clean environment, safety and security, low corruption, good climate etc.. compared to India" then you may choose to be a Kiwi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, ravikum, I do online business as well and I am moving to New Zealand. My decision is mostly a quality of life and love one, I can do the biz from anywhere. My girl is a resident already so my situation fits your's very little. But if your wish is to "live in a country with less population, better quality of living, good roads, clean environment, safety and security, low corruption, good climate etc.. compared to India" then you may choose to be a Kiwi.
Thanks for your reply.
I am also considering New Zealand.

·
Registered
459 Posts
At present I am based in Spain been here 26years we are trying to plan to leave as soon as we can! difficult heartbreaking decision for us but I think it has to be done, however don't want to return to UK if we can help it!

Sent from my iPhone using ExpatForum

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm glad to have found this thread and am in a situation that's very similar as OP's!

I too am an Indian citizen and make money online. I want to move out of India for all the reasons that ravikum has already mentioned. It's really horrible living here.

I applied for a tourist visa to the US in 2010, which was denied as 214b. Though I never had any intentions to stay illegally or break the law, I just wanted to visit and see for myself. The visa officer told me that I have "a unique situation".

Unlike the OP I don't have any academic qualifications. I dropped out of 9th grade (currently age 22). Of course I didn't advertise this fact at the visa interview, but nevertheless...

@OP have you looked into Singapore? $50k gets you instant LPR status and it really is a clean country with high standard of living. Plus I always feel comfortable visiting, you don't stand out as an Indian, there is a lot of diversity and most everyone is polite & speak English. The only downside is the cost of a condo. With an SG passport you can go wherever you want to without being treated like crap at visa interviews.

Also a viable temporary strategy that I've been following is: hop between SG, HK, Thailand, Philippines and the Maldives.

And, within India itself, not all hope is lost :) I spent 4 months in Gangtok, Sikkim and had a great time. It's clean and the population is civilized. Doesn't feel like India at all. Infrastructure is also top notch.

If infrastructure isn't a big deal (mainly internet), there are little pockets throughout the north and northeast which are promising and have a pleasant climate. Dehdradun, Darjeeling, Shimla, Kasauli etc.

But there are no livable big cities in India. Only Chandigarh comes somewhat close but it's ruined by the loud and rude population.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have many colleagues from Arab countries and south Asia who made Canada their country of choice to get a passport. Most only lived in Canada long enough to get their passport and then returned to the UAE where they consider the standard of living, entrepreneurial spirit and choice of jobs is higher. None is likely to ever get a UAE passport of course, but with a western passport they feel more welcome than if they had not got their Canadian passport.

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMHO the UAE for this particular moment one of the best choices for e-commerce activity. Especially if you're planning to deal with GCC region as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
online business

Many of you here mentioned about the online business..running websites etc .. I wud appreciate if some one cud throw some light on the online business and how to approach it.

I have read about online businesses but cant seem to know where to sstart or what business to get into. If someone can point out to me I will be thankful.

Regards

Vin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many of you here mentioned about the online business..running websites etc .. I wud appreciate if some one cud throw some light on the online business and how to approach it.

I have read about online businesses but cant seem to know where to sstart or what business to get into. If someone can point out to me I will be thankful.

Regards

Vin
Hi Vin, ecommerce isn't too different from a real life business. Affiliate marketing is all about leadgen. Publishing/making money off of ads is exclusively online but also the lowest EPC. You don't necessarily need to know programming or tech stuff to run a successful online business though it will help if you are bootstrapping the business.

I would suggest you find a niche, some product or service to sell. Put up a website and then start promoting it the same way you would any business- google adwords, facebook ads, ebay, yellowpages/cold calling, email marketing and so forth.

You can also make money off of freelance websites if you have a skill, or can assemble a team of skilled people. Odesk, vworker, digitalpoint and freelancer are some popular freelance websites.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Vin, ecommerce isn't too different from a real life business. Affiliate marketing is all about leadgen. Publishing/making money off of ads is exclusively online but also the lowest EPC. You don't necessarily need to know programming or tech stuff to run a successful online business though it will help if you are bootstrapping the business.

I would suggest you find a niche, some product or service to sell. Put up a website and then start promoting it the same way you would any business- google adwords, facebook ads, ebay, yellowpages/cold calling, email marketing and so forth.

You can also make money off of freelance websites if you have a skill, or can assemble a team of skilled people. Odesk, vworker, digitalpoint and freelancer are some popular freelance websites.

Hope this helps.
Thank you. I will look at the sites you mentioned.. My wife and neighbor want to to sell manually knitted hats/socks etc for babies... they tried to sell on line but how do buyers find them ... if you sell them on ebay they take 15/20% of the value not much left for the profit. How can one get the product to the potential buyers? we are in US. Any ideas will be much appreciated or one can semd me a private email. Thank you for any help.

Vin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you. I will look at the sites you mentioned.. My wife and neighbor want to to sell manually knitted hats/socks etc for babies... they tried to sell on line but how do buyers find them ... if you sell them on ebay they take 15/20% of the value not much left for the profit. How can one get the product to the potential buyers? we are in US. Any ideas will be much appreciated or one can semd me a private email. Thank you for any help.

Vin
Hi, you can use google adwords to advertise on parenting and baby sites and even employ SEO as a long term strategy. You can even contact baby supply stores. The yellowpages are very powerful yet underrated tool. A lot of sales and business contacts can be made by just picking up the phone and calling a suitable store or company.

·
Registered
12 Posts
online sales

Thank you so much for your reply ... I will look into it and explore the Google ads. SEO? I will check to see what it means. I am currently looking into carribean countries to get hats made and sell in US. However, it takes time/$$ to look for those who can make these hand made hats. Nonethless, I will pursue what you suggested.

Regards

Vin

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have many colleagues from Arab countries and south Asia who made Canada their country of choice to get a passport. Most only lived in Canada long enough to get their passport and then returned to the UAE where they consider the standard of living, entrepreneurial spirit and choice of jobs is higher. None is likely to ever get a UAE passport of course, but with a western passport they feel more welcome than if they had not got their Canadian passport.
I know this happens all the time, and there are a lot of immigration 'lawyers' who set up false addresses so people don't even have to really set foot in Canada to get the passport, but I don't like it. This type of behaviour also makes it harder for people who want to settle in Canada and contribute to society because people will paint them with the same brush as the opportunists.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts