Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all again!

SO it is that time of the year again for us Americans to do our taxes. I was in the US for the majority of 2013 and had some hospital bills so it is my duty to do my taxes.

All was going swimmingly until they asked for my husband's SSN which, since he is French he does not have.
Has anyone encountered this problem and/or can help me out? Time is ticking and I am about ready to pull my hair out from going around in circles with online tax companies.

Much love,
Robin

·
Administrator
49,149 Posts
You can check in the Expat Tax section, but basically you should probably file as "married, filing separately" and just put NRA in the spaces for your spouse's name and SS number. Unfortunately, this will probably mean that you won't be able to e-file. (You can prepare your forms using TaxAct, but when you attempt to e-file, the IRS system will reject the e-filing.)

The other alternative is to apply for an ITIN for your spouse and then use that in future filings - though you don't need to do so unless you're claiming him as a dependent or you want to file jointly with him. (Probably not a great idea.)

Internal Revenue Service | Embassy of the United States Paris, France for more information - check particularly the Tax Assistance Information Booklet - link is on the right side of the page if you scroll down a bit.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.