Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I start doing master immediately after getting permanent residency through skilled migration visa 175?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
yes you can, why not..

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for answering.

So if I start doing masters immediately after migration, do I have to pay international student fee (normally much higher) or resident student fee?

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hmmm.. Not something that i thought about. I think it wont be international student fee as you get a PR status.. Still confirm from an institute or let someone else reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes

Can I start doing master immediately after getting permanent residency through skilled migration visa 175?
Yes, we are here on a permanent resident visa and I met with the UNSW in October 09 about doing a Masters. Permanent residents pay the same as Australian citizens. But if you are on a 175 I think it would a much higher fee. In the one I was looking at it was the difference between about $500 per 6 credit class for permanent resident vs about $2000 (!) per 6 credit class for non-residents.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've done my bit of research on this.

Don't see why it matters that my route of PR is from 175. It's just a category within the DIAC. I believe PR is resident already.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've done my bit of research on this.

Don't see why it matters that my route of PR is from 175. It's just a category within the DIAC. I believe PR is resident already.
No it won't matter if you first had a 175 at all, as long as you have permanent resident at the time you apply to do the masters. Hope that makes sense.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts