Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fretting about this quite a bit so I am hoping someone on the forum could offer some information. I have two small dogs, terriers about 14 lb each. They bark when they are excited at things like going outside. A trip outdoors could see a good 5 minutes of excited barking. Not a problem in my house in North America with a large yard..... Possibly a problem in a Paris flat.

We have tried the behaviour modification tricks and it doesn't do much. The problem is that there are two dogs.

So, the question is how understanding are Parisians about barking? There are lots of dogs, many little terriers in Paris so it must be common. How can one find a flat with understanding landlords and neighbours?

Any advice, most appreciated!

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Hi,

have the same problem with a pair of Shih-Tzus. When you find out (how to stop them barking), please do let me know :D

hils

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been fretting about this quite a bit so I am hoping someone on the forum could offer some information. I have two small dogs, terriers about 14 lb each. They bark when they are excited at things like going outside. A trip outdoors could see a good 5 minutes of excited barking. Not a problem in my house in North America with a large yard..... Possibly a problem in a Paris flat.

We have tried the behaviour modification tricks and it doesn't do much. The problem is that there are two dogs.

So, the question is how understanding are Parisians about barking? There are lots of dogs, many little terriers in Paris so it must be common. How can one find a flat with understanding landlords and neighbours?

Any advice, most appreciated!
I kind of hesitate to tell you this but it does work. I had an old (10 yrs) American Eskimo and he would not stop barking so when I moved into an apartment, it was either give him away (I couldn't bear that) or get him a bark collar.

The collar worked like a charm. He barked a couple of times, did a couple of yipes and learned after the second bark that if he barked when it was on then he was going to get shocked. I didn't leave it on him all the time and left it off when I went for walks in the parks, in the car, at night, etc. He quickly figured out when he had it on and would be quiet but when he didn't, he barked as usual. So it really doesn't stop them but it does allow some control over the times that they can bark.

I bought the cheap model from Pet**** and had no trouble with it. My friend now uses it for her dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have tried the electric shock collars, citronella spray collars etc. nothing really woks so it's more of a question of coping. Terriers are particularly stubborn, they feed off each other and having two sets up a feedback loop of barking. Any thoughts about renting under these circumstances?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I guess I would just be prepared to endure neighbours' glares. The French do love their dogs that's for sure so chances are you'll live beside some very understanding ones.
Just remembered that my friend was told by a dog handler to use water in s spray bottle. Worth a try.
Look at this way, maybe you'll learn how to swear in French!! Lol:sorry:
Good luck Jennifer

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Jennifer,

Not sure if you have rented in France before, but it is different than in Canada. I know in Canada a landlord can refuse you for pets, or can state that you must smoke outside etc. My understanding is that in France once you have been accepted you essentially can do as you please (compared to Canada). The landlord may be able to evict you after there have been many complaints etc. but that is also where there is a difference here. You cannot be kicked out during the winter time and it takes forever to get rid of a tenant. Different rules on either side of the Atlantic.

I think if you are accepted to rent an appartement and try to manage the small amount of times your dogs are barking, along with paying your rent on time etc. you should not have any problems.

I would worry more about how you will first be accepted to rent a place at all, regardless of the dogs. It is more difficult here than in Canada due to the above mentioned protections that lean heavily towards the tenant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hadn't really thought about it from that angle! Thank you. The last time I rented in France was in university and there were 4 of us. I don't recall if there even was a bail!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.