Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just horrific! What's wrong with some people?

Taken from the City Vet FB page:

WARNING TO ALL PET OWNERS: In the past 2-3 weeks at least 12 dogs have died due to poisoning in the Al Qudra / Arabian Ranches area. We are also aware of similar cases in other areas of Dubai.

It is believed to be either Strychnine or Metaldahyde poison that is being used. It is a fast acting poison, taking effect in less than 1hour and results in death.

Symptoms include: Seizures, muscle contractions, foaming from the mouth, vomiting and diarrhea.

We ask you help spread the word and be extra vigilant when walking your dogs in all areas. Where possible keep your dogs on a leash and do not allow them to eat or lick anything whilst out.

Should you suspect your dog has been poisoned you should contact a Veterinarian immediately.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Someone's just reported the passing of their cat in JVC due to poisoning. It's still a bit unclear whether this is malicious behavior or companies attempting to control rodents, either way it's probably best keeping cats indoors for now if possible and not let dogs sniff or poke around too much when out on a walk.

I really hate to resort to "think of the children" hysteria but it's in the post.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I hope whoever is doing this to the poor helpless animals dies a slow, miserable and painful death. :mad:
The recent cat poisonings in Safa Park were attributed to a company subcontracted to reduce the bird population. The trouble is poisoned food doesn't discriminate and those carrying out these jobs will have no training or zero idea on what they are actually doing.

It's not yet been established whether this is similar or the of some nutter(s).

·
Premium Member
10,204 Posts
The recent cat poisonings in Safa Park were attributed to a company subcontracted to reduce the bird population. The trouble is poisoned food doesn't discriminate and those carrying out these jobs will have no training or zero idea on what they are actually doing.

It's not yet been established whether this is similar or the of some nutter(s).
It's just terrible! :(

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I've just got back from walking the dog this morning and found a lot of dead birds on one of the outside walls of Garden Villas in Jumeirah 2 and, closer to home, a dead street cat, which had not been knocked down by a car, which we then went back and put in a bag and, sadly, put it in the bin :( . So it looks like it's continuing. I was at the vets a few weeks ago and they told me they have had more cases of poisonings than they have ever seen. I am convinced it's the municipality and it's about rodents and birds (we are almost overrun by crows in this area, and they were never in this country till a few years ago) and I am sure I have noticed a decrease in the numbers of crows round the bins recently.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
On our evening walk, we made new friends :). The human friend told us he has also been seeing the same things on their walks, so obviously it's spreading, so please spread the word and tell everyone to be mindful while they are out with their dogs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've just got back from walking the dog this morning and found a lot of dead birds on one of the outside walls of Garden Villas in Jumeirah 2 and, closer to home, a dead street cat, which had not been knocked down by a car, which we then went back and put in a bag and, sadly, put it in the bin :( . So it looks like it's continuing. I was at the vets a few weeks ago and they told me they have had more cases of poisonings than they have ever seen. I am convinced it's the municipality and it's about rodents and birds (we are almost overrun by crows in this area, and they were never in this country till a few years ago) and I am sure I have noticed a decrease in the numbers of crows round the bins recently.
Inevitably, if poison is used in this way it will reach us people as well soon or later; this is really my worry here. Its very said thinking that here poison is used so recklessly; I can understand that wild animals need to be controlled, but it should happen in spearheaded way.

Connected in my opinion, is the use of Fertilizer in the region. I believe the use is focused to grow of vegetables and meat in challenging conditions with less stringent health considerations for humans. This is one of the reason why I always insist to buy IMPORTED vegetables and meat from extremely well controlled countries like Holland (Netherlands), USA and Australia, where vegetables grow naturally. Much more expensive, but much more assurance of a proper product, and much better for your health!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my compassion goes to the poor pets and their owners.. what a cruel mind can think of poisoning innocent animals.. can these things be reported to the police?
These people don't care - it's as simple as that. They've been told to do pets control and poison is their method of choice. The municipality were looking into it.

It's happened before and this won't be the last time either.

Animal cruelty laws aren't enforced in the UAE - the authorities really couldn't care less.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Thing is the Crows and Mynahs did need to be culled. A friend of mine and her dog were attacked by Crows and that's not an isolated case. That, coupled with the fact that they are a real nuisance in the area, congregating round the bins and leaving food and garbage all over the place. It's just the way it's being done. And Bud is totally right, it's bad enough with animals, but it doesn't bear thinking about if a child were to get hold of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts