Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted this to warn others and hope that it will be Ok to do that.

This is what Kathleen has written on Facebook today:

There are a million rumours and Chinese Whispers zooming around the internet about what happened in the park to my dog. Clearly damage control by the accused. So to clarify I have made this public so please feel free to share. What our experience was:

What occurred in Achelia village to the dog in the play-park? Let me put a face to that. It's me, this was my dog, this happened to us. Not a fictitious character made up by The Animal Party or a rival restaurant hell-bent on ruining some innocent couple's business. This happenned to us on Sunday 7/6/2015. I am hearing this man is a saint/he feeds strays/he owns dogs/ he's a good man???????????? This was my dog that was killed and I'll tell you the facts: We moved to Achelia Village four years ago. When we moved here all of the neighbours warned us that this Taverna is known to poison animals, they have all lost animals and not to walk your dogs near the restaurant and canal. Of course this is all hearsay and I simply ignored the rumours. This Taverna sits on the public park and the village just spent hundreds of thousands of Euros modernising this park, adding a football park, Amphi-theatre and swings, roundabout etc-This is where we regularly went with our kids. On Sunday my husband went with our kids and unfortunately did not put Thelma-Our little Pekingnese on a lead so she was wandering around the park. I went to the park in the car and told them to come home because we were going out.When they came home I asked where the dog was and my husband thought she, as per, was following but she was not. I told him I saw her heading towards the Taverna. Meanwhile our neighbours went to the park and found the dog frothing at the mouth and shaking and by the time he called the police and us the dog was dead. Our Muchtar's dog was poisoned last year and he believed it was The Taverna. All the village animals die in this park beside the Taverna. Up to thirty or possibly more. Two days before our dog was poisoned a second dog belonging to the Muchtar was poisoned at the Taverna but they got her to the vet in time. My husband and I and all the dog owning neighbours went to the Taverna. The owner immediately became defensive and told me to 'F*** off. I don't speak to English people. I am Greek. F*** off back to your own country' And to the locals that were there he was shouting 'F*** off. Prove it. Prove it' At this point all the local kids came down and showed us where they saw him distributing poison-It was stuffed in pasta and distributed throughout the children's play park, under the swings and in the Amphi-theatre. This is where all the children play. Can you even imagine how concerned we all are in this village? That someone is stuffing deadly poison where the children are? Can you even begin to contemplate the horror of that? Of course we called the police who came almost immediately and we discovered a packet of Lanate poison behind his kitchen, on his property and the pasta. The police asked the wife 'Is this yours?' She said 'Yes. It's plant food. It's not poison. It's for my plants' So then he came out and they asked him 'Is this yours?' 'No' He said 'I don't know anything about that' The police said 'But it is here on your property' He said 'Well maybe someone put it there. Like her!!! The English woman' *ME* The police said 'Ok we are going to bag it and analyse it for your finger-prints' Which is what they did. This is my experience NOT someone trying to ruin the reputation of a business but this happened to ME and my children. There is poison IN with the children. Illegal poison with Turkish writing on the back so he brought it from the north. This is not hearsay, this is not a Chinese whisper this happened to us and my dog was whisked away by some village 'helper' and burnt immediately so the police cannot do a post-mortem. To the people that are on-line screaming about how angry they are about someone's business being affected????....How angry do you think I am??????? How angry that I could be talking about my child's death today or another child's death!!!!!!!! Think about that reality!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This illegal poison is horrific: It freezes every muscle in the body including the heart muscle while the excruciating pain rips through the body and the animal foams at the mouth while shaking violently and cannot breathe because their lungs are frozen. Imagine THAT happening to your child!!!!!!!! The 'innocent' Taverna owners rely on tourists and ex pats for business because the Cypriots and ALL the villagers refuse to go there because they suspected he's been killing their animals for years. He has allegedly been boasting about it!!!!!! OF COURSE they are lashing out and pointing fingers and pleading innocence. Up until now he has only been suspected of murdering the locals' dogs and cats who got angry but did nothing. I WILL DO LOTS OF THINGS-TRUST ME. So maybe these 'out-raged' people can put a lid on their anger and think about innocent animals and innocent children instead of two desperate business owners drowning in their own guilt and grasping at any fairy story that makes them appear innocent 'We have dogs' 'We love animals' 'We feed the strays' (Well THAT we do know) 'We like British people' 'It's this animal party causing trouble' All words, all smacking of desperation and meanwhile from my bedroom window I can see the burnt ashes of the beautiful Thelma and am left holding her babies. I Thank God every minute I am not talking about a child. The police WILL be charging him with possessing illegal Lanate poison. Please for the sake of animals and children share this. Don't let it take the death of a child to act. ACT NOW AND SHARE THIS.

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am!

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Wow, I hope this evil person gets his comeuppance. People like this need to be made an example of and given a long prison sentence.

·
Banned
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The latest news is that the police are going to prosecute him. Should all be in the newspapers soon.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
A quick search has shown extensive numbers of posts on threads on other forums and 1 report in the Cyprus Mail. Further back in time there is at least 1 other thread reporting the same events with respect to this taverna owner.

It is Akis Taverna for those who want to be aware.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Yes I 've just found out it is Akis. They have very good reviews on trip advisor with people saying they owners are friendly. I think that their reputation is going to take a huge nose dive from now on.
I will spread the word not to use the place and I hope everyone else does too.

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
I know this forum has no naming and shaming policy but in this case as there is evidence and the reports are in the local papers I feel it is justified to allow this tavern to be named. I hope the word gets around not only to expats and locals but also that tourists hear about him and his place is closed down.
Lets stop this awful man from profiting from British residents and tourists.
Its time to stand up and be counted against this barbaric practice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It truly is a barbarous practice and it's always the poor animals which suffer. It must be nearly 25 years since one of my beautiful Pointers was poisoned and I will never forget it as long as I live.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
I know this forum has no naming and shaming policy but in this case as there is evidence and the reports are in the local papers I feel it is justified to allow this tavern to be named. I hope the word gets around not only to expats and locals but also that tourists hear about him and his place is closed down.
Lets stop this awful man from profiting from British residents and tourists.
Its time to stand up and be counted against this barbaric practice.
What with innocent until proven guilty???????????

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
Lanate - a banned substance and the most commonly used poison used against animals in Cyprus - no longer legally available, was found on his premises.

Smoking gun?
Lanate and much other stronger poisons will take me ten minutes to get in Pissouri. Can be bought everywhere in the north.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Lanate and much other stronger poisons will take me ten minutes to get in Pissouri. Can be bought everywhere in the north.
The same could be said for firearms, knives, knuckle dusters and other offensive weapons.

Availability does not give such items legitimacy!

Is that really the best defence you can put forward Anders? :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Anders the term used was no longer LEGALLY available. It is common knowledge that it can still be obtained by those unscrupulous people who want to use it.
Unfortunately there are still very many people who are happy to use it to poison helpless creatures.
Its a bit like drugs not being LEGALLY available but if you want them they can be obtained.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Some posts now starting to appear on Trip Advisor regarding the poisonings:

Akis Tavern, Paphos - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor
Unfortunately, the 2 Trip Advisor posts mentioning the animal abuse have now been removed. I must admit that I'm surprised that Trip Advisor have seen fit to ignore such posts - each had more than 20 members (including me) finding them "helpful". Instead, they have let a post remain, which does not truly review the taverna, but stated:

"The last two bad comments about dogs are a vicious lie started by someone who wants to own the taverna and can't get it. Please ignore and try for yourself"

For those of you who did not read the bad reviews, this is what they said (note that this was a screenshot this morning, and there were many more "helpful" votes added before they were removed. I thought that they may be removed before the day ended, hence the screenshot):

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,544 Posts
Posts are being put on trip advisor about the poisoning. Mine was taken down after 24 hours but others appear and are visible for hours before being deleted.
If everyone goes on there and posts for people to avoid this tavern maybe enough people will see them for the news to spread and take this guy down. Lets do what we can to close this hell hole.
Lets teach this man he cant go around poisoning innocent animals.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
The same could be said for firearms, knives, knuckle dusters and other offensive weapons.

Availability does not give such items legitimacy!

Is that really the best defence you can put forward Anders? :confused: :confused: :confused:
I don't defend anyone, I only say that I or you or anyone else on this forum has the right to judge anyone. That is what we have courts for. To many has been accused without grounds. And to do it in an open forum like this is probably criminal. Remember he is Cypriot, you are not.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Posts are being put on trip advisor about the poisoning. Mine was taken down after 24 hours but others appear and are visible for hours before being deleted.
If everyone goes on there and posts for people to avoid this tavern maybe enough people will see them for the news to spread and take this guy down. Lets do what we can to close this hell hole.
Lets teach this man he cant go around poisoning innocent animals.
I totally agree Veronica. There are estimated to be 26,000 British expats in Cyprus. We have influence through our spending power and through Forums like this and also through social media like Facebook. This issue needs our support.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts