Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour tout le monde!

We are looking to adopt a rescue dog here in France and I could use some advice on owning a dog in this country as I haven't found anything on the town's website and I'm not sure where to look. I would like info on our responsibilities etc in case these differ from NZ.

Today I took him to the market for the first time (I've seen lots of other dogs there) and as my fav veggie stall is right on the edge of the market, just chained him up nearby where he could sit down and watch me while I shopped. I would have had him with me but another lady had her lapdog and was terrified of our dog because he strained a bit towards her dog (but didn't growl or bark etc - he's just interested in meeting other dogs and not yet well-trained enough to always ignore that instinct). The police walked by and looked at him so I mentioned it was my dog, I was right here and they said something I couldn't quite follow (my French is improving but still often fails me!) though I did pick up on the words 'stationnment' and 'betise' so I wondered if it's not allowed to leave dogs tied up like that? They just smiled at my bad French and kept walking though. Another woman came up to me and suggested I get a muzzle for him as his looks could frighten people. Personally, I would be MORE scared if I saw a dog with a muzzle as I'd assume it had a bad history/reputation. Our dog doesn't look scary to me but I think we are more used to bigger dogs in NZ.

A bit about us and the dog:
We're a French / Kiwi family with a baby. We have the right to live here in France and later NZ. I checked the NZ laws already and it looks like we should be able to import the dog if we move there. Right now we are a foster family for the dog with a view to adopting it through a local animal rescue association.
The dog is a boxer cross (as identified by the vet). It looks to have Staffy in it too. It is a gorgeous dog with a very friendly and playful but generally calm nature. It is only about 1 year old so still very interested in games and needs to be trained ASAP - esp as I have a baby to think of. We have found a course of 'dressage' but it hasn't started yet. I'm a little concerned that the teacher (who came to meet us and the dog) seemed very excited about the Staffy part of the dog and said it was a great shame we had no intentions of breeding him (on the contrary, the rescue association will have him neutered for us before we officially adopt him - a step I think is a good idea in preventing an increase in unwanted dogs). So I just got a slightly awkward feeling from him, but there seem to be no other options in our town.

Thanks in advance for any info, advice or thoughts you have to share. Rose x

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.