Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have heard from another Brit in the village who has lost one dog and is about to have another put down that there is/has been a problem with canned dog food from Mercadona. The dogs apparently develop kidney failure. The one that died was only about a year old but the one that will soon be put down becasue he is in such pain is 14 years old.

It has been suggested that this is being caused by Compy brand canned (both big tins and the flat tarinas) dog food. It has also been suggested that Mercadona have removed all this food from sale which, if true, could support the assertion.

Has anyone else heard anything?

The person to whom these dogs belong
a) doesn't live in a very good neighbourhood and
b) has not exactly made many friends among her neighbours
so it is always possible that they have enemies who are responsible since they have had problems before.

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
We have heard from another Brit in the village who has lost one dog and is about to have another put down that there is/has been a problem with canned dog food from Mercadona. The dogs apparently develop kidney failure. The one that died was only about a year old but the one that will soon be put down becasue he is in such pain is 14 years old.

It has been suggested that this is being caused by Compy brand canned (both big tins and the flat tarinas) dog food. It has also been suggested that Mercadona have removed all this food from sale which, if true, could support the assertion.

Has anyone else heard anything?

The person to whom these dogs belong
a) doesn't live in a very good neighbourhood and
b) has not exactly made many friends among her neighbours
so it is always possible that they have enemies who are responsible since they have had problems before.
it is sort of true

Mercadona were trialling some Compy dogfood in 'brics' & yes this did cause the problems you have heard about - I think it was last month

the food was very swidftly withdrawn from sale & the company who produced the food has accepted responsibilty & I believe people are able to claim against them for vet bills

it was only trialled in the Alicante region, I believe

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
It was withdrawn on 24 Feb so there shouldn´t be any left on the shelves now.

Retirada producto Compy en brick de Mercadona | Sitio Web de Información de Alimentación Canina | Alimentación natural canina | Alimentación natural para perros

Just as well because I bought some Compy cat food sachets a couple of weeks ago. Whiskas had decreased the size of their sachets from 100g to 85g ("new improved formula", same price of course). Dippy loved the Compy brand, which is about 25% cheaper! She doesn't appear to have suffered any ill effects.

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
It was withdrawn on 24 Feb so there shouldn´t be any left on the shelves now.

Retirada producto Compy en brick de Mercadona | Sitio Web de Información de Alimentación Canina | Alimentación natural canina | Alimentación natural para perros

Just as well because I bought some Compy cat food sachets a couple of weeks ago. Whiskas had decreased the size of their sachets from 100g to 85g ("new improved formula", same price of course). Dippy loved the Compy brand, which is about 25% cheaper! She doesn't appear to have suffered any ill effects.
it was only the 'brics' though - not the tins or sachets

1 - 6 of 6 Posts