Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came here with fiance visa last October. Then we got married in November in the registry office. When I applied for my FLR I was told that I had to apply with the same name as in my passport, which I did. Application successful. Now I have my national insurance and everything and I am still stuck with my last name. I want my Husbands last name. I thought it would automatically change. Why hasn't it changed? What do I do?

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Goodness, of course your name doesn't automatically change (this is 2015, not 1955, MANY people do not take their husband's name now). Only you have the ability to instigate your own name change. It's kind of a complicated procedure, I think you can start the procedure in the UK by deed poll (please do correct me if I am wrong!)

When you travel, you will have to carry with you the passport with the visa stamp, even though it has your "old" name, and an official document showing your official name change. It's also very important that you book flights using the name in your passport. In a couple of years when you renew your visa on a new passport, it will be a lot more straightforward. You could contact the US embassy in London for more information.

Reactions: helsgaub

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goodness, of course your name doesn't automatically change (this is 2015, not 1955, MANY people do not take their husband's name now). Only you have the ability to instigate your own name change. It's kind of a complicated procedure, I think you can start the procedure in the UK by deed poll (please do correct me if I am wrong!)

When you travel, you will have to carry with you the passport with the visa stamp, even though it has your "old" name, and an official document showing your official name change. It's also very important that you book flights using the name in your passport. In a couple of years when you renew your visa on a new passport, it will be a lot more straightforward.
Thank you! I was telling that to my mother in law. She kept insisting that I probably signed my marriage certificate with my original last name. Even the bank lady said she has never heard that you had to do a change it by deed poll & that it automatically changes. His family is a little offended why I still have my same last name. I even told them when I renew my passport it will officially changed. I knew I was right! :mad: but when everyone around me keeps insisting I am wrong and I just made a mistake. Are there any websites or links that I can show them that it doesn't automatically changes?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
No, in the UK you just need to start using the new name. If you need to have your name changed on an official record, just show a copy of the marriage certificate.

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

It's not like in the US (CA anyway) where the name you are planning to use in the future is indicated on your marriage license.

At my registry wedding two weeks ago, all documents were in my old name. When I signed the official book, the registrar even commented for me to use the old name and said............"this is the last time you will be signing with it". ;)

Don't fight your new family ;)

·
Registered
5,579 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Of course, if you are applying for FLR(M), you will use on the application whatever name is listed on your passport. You can continue to use both names until all records are using one name.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you! for that I will certainly print that out and show it to his family members. Just annoying when they keep trying to tell you you're wrong and you've made a mistake. Oh mother in laws..go figure.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Read section 2.2
That's just evidence of having linked your old name to your husband's. It doesn't automatically change anything.

By sending a copy of your marriage certificate to record holders, with a covering letter, your documents and records will be changed to show your new surname.
You still have to do the work to send in evidence of your name change to regulatory bodies.

Edit: I think there is some miscommunication or misunderstanding about name use, and actual registered name :) You have every right to use your married name, and it shouldn't cause any confusion because this happens all the time, but you have to deliberately request changes to your passport and any other identifying documents...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Thank you! for that I will certainly print that out and show it to his family members. Just annoying when they keep trying to tell you you're wrong and you've made a mistake. Oh mother in laws..go figure.
Careful.............since you were wrong.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That's just evidence of having linked your old name to your husband's. It doesn't automatically change anything.

You still have to do the work to send in evidence of your name change to regulatory bodies.
2. Options that do not need a Deed Poll
The following options do not require you to change your name by Deed Poll:

2.1 Continue using your maiden name
If you decide to continue using your maiden name, you do not need to do anything following your marriage because you are not changing your legal name. However, if you wish to change your title to Mrs, please click on this link

2.2 Take your husband's surname
If you decide to follow tradition and take your husband's surname, your marriage certificate provides you with the necessary documentary evidence that you have changed your surname to your husband's (as his surname appears on your marriage certificate). By sending a copy of your marriage certificate to record holders, with a covering letter, your documents and records will be changed to show your new surname.
Please note, for important documents like your passport and driving licence, you will need to send your original marriage certificate - so buy a few extra marriage certificates from your registrar or minister after your marriage ceremony.

The point is, you just start using the new name and show a copy of the marriage certificate to most places as proof. If she had started using the new name immediately after marriage, all of her records would have already been in her new married name and not need to be changed.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
I think there is miscommunication between us (I edited my last post). Sorry to upset you salix. Of course you can use your married name for future documents and registrations. I may have interpreted the OP's question incorrectly, I just meant to say that there is a lot to be done to change existing documentation to the new married name, and that it's not the default that a woman's last name is changed to her husband's, she has to start using it deliberately (I'm in the middle of name changes myself!).

I would hope that the MIL could be mollified simply by the OP using her married name from now on :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I think there is miscommunication between us (I edited my last post). Sorry to upset you salix. Of course you can use your married name for future documents and registrations. I may have interpreted the OP's question incorrectly, I just meant to say that there is a lot to be done to change existing documentation to the new married name, and that it's not the default that a woman's last name is changed to her husband's, she has to start using it deliberately (I'm in the middle of name changes myself!).

I would hope that the MIL could be mollified simply by the OP using her married name from now on :)
You didn't upset me in the least, I just didn't like seeing you giving out incorrect information.

And I really didn't want to see the OP getting in trouble with her new MIL ;)

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Well, it's difficult to tell exactly what MIL is upset over... She can simply refer to herself as her married name at any time! But if MIL was expecting everything to automatically change over... that's another story... I'm sheepishly backing away from this thread now ;) I think I misinterpreted it and I tend to jump on threads too quickly lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.