Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Administrator
36,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've moved a lot of current posts on this subject to this thread to avoid duplication.

They pre-date (by an hour or two) the original thread starter of this one, so reading through might seem a bit odd at first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info Steve. Why would you only need private health insurance for the first five years? I have read this elsewhere as well. I would of thought you would need it all the time. Or is it that it is compulsory for the first few years?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the info Steve. Why would you only need private health insurance for the first five years? I have read this elsewhere as well. I would of thought you would need it all the time. Or is it that it is compulsory for the first few years?
Because you can become Spanish resident after 5 years, freeing the way for more conventional medical arrangemnets through their system ( AKA their equivalent of our NHS )
Steve

·
Registered
381 Posts
Because you can become Spanish resident after 5 years, freeing the way for more conventional medical arrangemnets through their system ( AKA their equivalent of our NHS )
Steve
So thats another difference between those who got here before 31st Dec and got residency at WA status then.

As to paying into the Convenio Especial after the 5 years, because the UK wont be issuing any S1 for those who arrive in the EU now, they will have to pay for the rest of their lives at €60 a month until 65 and then €157 a month each after that.

Its just one more cost to have to budget for.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Steve
Is that correct?. I thought only those who contributed got free healthcare. Do you not just pass to the convenio in your region but still pay?. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm still working so get healthcare on basis of SS payments.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is that correct?. I thought only those who contributed got free healthcare. Do you not just pass to the convenio in your region but still pay?. Maybe I'm wrong. I'm still working so get healthcare on basis of SS payments.
I think that Steve is correct. Remember, I've been researching this for over a year since we're coming from the US; as I understand it, UK is handled the same way. After 5 years you can apply for resident status, then participate in the national healthcare. 10 years you can apply for citizenship. I think.

Also, as I recall, if you open your own negocio and pay into the system then you automatically get to take advantage of the healthcare as if you were a citizen (since you are paying directly into the system). That could make a lot of sense for someone looking to open a small business while also needing healthcare.

·
Administrator
36,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve
How do you mean?

You're resident as soon as you have formalised the TIE, which must be done within a month of arriving.

Unless you mean 'permanent resident'? Being a permanent resident doesn't confer automatic right to state healthcare.

·
Registered
158 Posts
So thats another difference between those who got here before 31st Dec and got residency at WA status then.

As to paying into the Convenio Especial after the 5 years, because the UK wont be issuing any S1 for those who arrive in the EU now, they will have to pay for the rest of their lives at €60 a month until 65 and then €157 a month each after that.

Its just one more cost to have to budget for.
Are you sure? ....AFAIK after 5 years legal residency a temporary resident can apply for permanent residency and have the same healthcare as a Spanish resident.
see Healthcare for UK nationals living in Spain.

" If you are not working
If you’ve been a resident in Spain for 5 years or more, you can apply for permanent residency. This will give you access to state healthcare on the same basis as a Spanish citizen.

Once you’re a permanent resident, you need to register for healthcare at your local INSS office.

You’ll need to show a ‘legislation letter’ (‘documento de no exportación’ in Spanish) stating that you are not covered by the UK for healthcare. You can request this by calling NHS Overseas Healthcare Services.

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 3pm
The INSS will give you a document which you need to take to your local health centre.

If the UK pays for your healthcare, for example through an S1 form, you cannot register for healthcare as a permanent resident.
"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Trotter, just read your post. That sounds better around healthcare. But why would Spain want to
give me free healthcare if I have never paid into the system ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Trotter, just read your post. That sounds better around healthcare. But why would Spain want to
give me free healthcare if I have never paid into the system ?
You will have paid Spanish taxes on all your worldwide wealth for at least 5 years until you qualify and these taxes can be considerably higher than UK taxes.
Spanish healthcare is contribution based, which is opposed the the UK's residency based healthcare. This partly explains the lure of the UK to economic migrants. However, both countries are civilised and will take care of your healthcare if you don't have any other cover.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
5 years residency does not give you free healthcare
I work and if I stop paying in my healthcare stops after 3 months. The convenio is not just for expats it is used by Spanish as well.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Only undocumented illegals get free healthcare under the Universal Healthcare Act it is not open to all migrants

·
Administrator
36,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are you sure? ....AFAIK after 5 years legal residency a temporary resident can apply for permanent residency and have the same healthcare as a Spanish resident.
see Healthcare for UK nationals living in Spain.

" If you are not working
If you’ve been a resident in Spain for 5 years or more, you can apply for permanent residency. This will give you access to state healthcare on the same basis as a Spanish citizen.

Once you’re a permanent resident, you need to register for healthcare at your local INSS office.

You’ll need to show a ‘legislation letter’ (‘documento de no exportación’ in Spanish) stating that you are not covered by the UK for healthcare. You can request this by calling NHS Overseas Healthcare Services.

NHS Overseas Healthcare Services
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 1999
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 9am to 3pm
The INSS will give you a document which you need to take to your local health centre.

If the UK pays for your healthcare, for example through an S1 form, you cannot register for healthcare as a permanent resident.
"
Yes, the UK government has been saying that for years.

Neither I, nor anyone in my extensive network of people who keep tabs on these things, have ever come across anyone who has been successful in an application, simply because they've been resident for 5 years.

·
Registered
158 Posts
5 years residency does not give you free healthcare
I work and if I stop paying in my healthcare stops after 3 months. The convenio is not just for expats it is used by Spanish as well.
Are you a permanent resident?...and are you not working? My quote states at the start " If you are not working "

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi
I read somewhere recently that once a person has permanent residence (ie over 5 years), then they will have automatic access to state healthcare, but I can't remember where I read it!

Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, the UK government has been saying that for years.

Neither I, nor anyone in my extensive network of people who keep tabs on these things, have ever come across anyone who has been successful in an application, simply because they've been resident for 5 years.
Interesting. Do you have any documentation of refused applications from your extensive network?
Has anyone actually challenged a refusal?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I did take the time to include a link which supports my view. Perhaps you could do the same?

We went through all this a couple of years ago when the law was suggested. Its is not for expats only illegal immigrants. I think actually in the end the law was never ratified. You will only get free healthcare if you have contributed/ been resident before Brexit. All other arrivals have to pay for the whole period of residency.

·
Administrator
36,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting. Do you have any documentation of refused applications from your extensive network?
Has anyone actually challenged a refusal?
Afraid not, but over the past several years we've discussed this on various forums & privately, & although people have come forward to say that they have applied, none have succeeded, except those who were resident before April 2012. April 24th iirc.

When the Spanish govt changed its healthcare rules for nationals in Oct 2012, it was required to include residents. They added a caveat that you had to be registered as resident before April 2012 in order to qualify.

Prior to this date even Spanish nationals didn't have automatic right to healthcare unless they were working. If they stopped work, they lost their right to healthcare.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but the claim seems to have first appeared on the UK govt webpage around the beginning of 2018.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We went through all this a couple of years ago when the law was suggested. Its is not for expats only illegal immigrants. I think actually in the end the law was never ratified. You will only get free healthcare if you have contributed/ been resident before Brexit. All other arrivals have to pay for the whole period of residency.
Sorry I missed it.
However, the link is still there and there's a webinar available on "Brits in Spain" facebook which gives a little insight into Spanish healthcare for residents (the webinar can be viewed at Facebook Live Q and A on Residency)
*******EDIT........
Further to this subject please see post at
for informative links regarding healthcare for residents not covered by the withdrawal agreement.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts