Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't find an answer...

I'm in the process of completing Form AN (applying for naturalisation after years of living here in UK). I've been told that the old form AN made it clear that one could submit a certified copy of one's passports/visas, but that the new form is unclear. Based on that, I've been advised to submit my original passports (which of course contain my visas).

Given the uncertainty of how long it will take to issue a response, I hate to submit my passports!! (What if there's a family emergency? or what if I'd just like to go on holiday?? :) ) Does anyone have any idea whether it's still acceptable to submit properly certified copies of the passports with the new Form AN?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick response! I'm not familiar with the check & send service. I am using a solicitor b/c when I started the application process, I had lengthy absences from the UK that I was worried would impact my application. (At this point, it's taken me so long to get the application documents together that the absences are effectively erased.) My solicitor is the one who brought up the issue of sending original passports instead of copies; she said that the new version of Form AN doesn't make it entirely clear (as the old form did) that certified copies are acceptable. I can ask the solicitor about the check & send service - it seems logical that if that service can use copies, then my solicitor can certify the copies and send them(?)

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure. The settlement checking service as it's called is done by local councils in partnership with UKVI. So basically it's sanctioned by UKVI. It doesn't follow that a soliciter's certification will carry the same weight. I believe the only entity that is acceptable for certifying a passport is the issuing authority which would be your country's embassy or consulate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've checked again with my solicitor, and she's still uncertain as to whether copies are acceptable. Guess I'll play it safe and have her submit the passports (with fingers crossed that it doesn't take months for the Home Office to make their decision).

Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
3-6 months is the current processing time for naturalisation. You can usually request your passport back if you need to travel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3-6 months is the current processing time for naturalisation. You can usually request your passport back if you need to travel.
Thanks, Joppa. Fingers crossed it won't take 6 months(!) Do you know if it jeopardizes your application if you request the passports back?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.