Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about to schedule flights to France for our move. DH will be obtaining a CDS for work, the kids and I will have dependent visas. Right now, we all have our visas for entry obtained at the consulate.

We are considering having DH and DS go a day earlier. This way they can check two suitcases and fit them in the trunk (boot to you Brits!) of the car. The next day they can pick up us 3 girls who would have another two suitcases. If we all arrive together, we would only have room for 2 suitcases. For many reasons, we would like to take as much as possible with us.

The only thing that would prevent this is if the family must enter together. Does anyone know if we can arrive separately or must fly together? I do know that DH would need to carry something from me authorizing him to fly internationally with DS and DH authorizes me to fly with the DDs.

If someone here doesn't know, but might know where I might get an answer, I would appreciate that as well. THanks.

·
Administrator
51,290 Posts
As long as each of your has his or her own visa in his or her own passport, I think you can enter as you like - with the proviso that you each "authorize" the other to travel with the children who are accompanying you. (Actually, entering France is FAR less hassle than entering the US - even for a US citizen with all paperwork in order.)

I've known lots of families where DH flies over first (often by a month or two), followed by Mom and the kids. Not sure where you'd find this authorized in writing, but I've never heard anyone getting hassled.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure where you'd find this authorized in writing, but I've never heard anyone getting hassled.
Cheers,
Bev
I'm pretty sure the authorization form is on the dept of state's website. With Hillary Clinton's intervening in a custody dispute with a kid in Brazil, I think there was renewed interest in making sure that a parent had authorization to take a child overseas without the other parent there. But that may have already died down. Either way it's not a big deal for DH and I to get the form notarized before we'd go. We signed authorizations for my Dad to take the kids out of the country before DH and I went on our house hunting trip. That way if something were to have happened and we couldn't have returned to the US, my Dad could have brought the kids to us.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.