Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Do the length of marriage done outside France of a non Eu with an Eu count towards the issuance of a Carte de Resident(10YEARS CARD) for the non EU?

I and my Non Eu Spouse arrive in France in 2010. His Premier Titre De Sejour was issue (1year Card). We have been Married for 5years, outside France.

We wanted to renew the card, but someone said (not sure) that, the next card should be a 10years Card, that the lenght of Marriage count in France.

Pls I need someone to shed more light on this for me. We are a bit confused!

·
Administrator
51,272 Posts
Have moved you out into a thread of your own to try and attract a few more responses.

As far as I know, the length of time you have been married doesn't really count for much if your spouse is getting a carte de séjour based on being the spouse of an EU national. According to the Service Public website Famille d'Européens en France : 1ère demande et renouvellement de la carte "UE - séjour permanent" - Service-public.fr it's only after five years of renewing the carte de séjour annually that you are eligible for a "permanent residence" card.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EEA Permit

Hello Bev,
You have a marvelous way of explaining things. I have always enjoy your replies. I am also saying a big thank you for taking much of your time explaining to the slimplest way the person concerned will understand. I mean you always come down to that person's level of understanding. I appreciate your great efforts. Thank you once more.

May I use this opportunity to ask this question? I am waiting for my CDS (renew). Can I use my recepissé, just received 2days ago(3 months valid), with my national passport and other documents to apply for Family Permit to travel to the UK. My wife is a British Citizen exercising the treaty right in France.

Appreciate your quick responds.

·
Administrator
51,272 Posts
May I use this opportunity to ask this question? I am waiting for my CDS (renew). Can I use my recepissé, just received 2days ago(3 months valid), with my national passport and other documents to apply for Family Permit to travel to the UK. My wife is a British Citizen exercising the treaty right in France.

Appreciate your quick responds.
You may want to pose this question over on the British section of the forum. As far as I know a "Family Permit" is usually to allow you to settle in the UK, not just go over for a visit. But someone over in the UK section may know more.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello All,
Do the length of marriage done outside France of a non Eu with an Eu count towards the issuance of a Carte de Resident(10YEARS CARD) for the non EU?

I and my Non Eu Spouse arrive in France in 2010. His Premier Titre De Sejour was issue (1year Card). We have been Married for 5years, outside France.

We wanted to renew the card, but someone said (not sure) that, the next card should be a 10years Card, that the lenght of Marriage count in France.

Pls I need someone to shed more light on this for me. We are a bit confused!
Not sure which citizenship you hold yourself, but on the condition the fundamental laws were not modified since 6-7 years ago. I can definitely tell you that when a French citizen marries a Non-EU citizen after a period of 1 year the Non-EU citizen can and should ask for a 10 year residency. I would recommend learning French to at least a basic level, citizens from outside of EU who wish to start the "integration" procedure (10 year residency is an important step towards full citizenship) have to demonstrate motivation and will to learn French culture and language. The country of NON-EU citizenship is very important as well. France is tightening immigration policy to shift from "sustained immigration" to "select immigration". Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
51,272 Posts
Not sure which citizenship you hold yourself, but on the condition the fundamental laws were not modified since 6-7 years ago. I can definitely tell you that when a French citizen marries a Non-EU citizen after a period of 1 year the Non-EU citizen can and should ask for a 10 year residency. I would recommend learning French to at least a basic level, citizens from outside of EU who wish to start the "integration" procedure (10 year residency is an important step towards full citizenship) have to demonstrate motivation and will to learn French culture and language. The country of NON-EU citizenship is very important as well. France is tightening immigration policy to shift from "sustained immigration" to "select immigration". Hope this helps.
Things have changed in the last 6 to 7 years, I'm afraid. You aren't eligible for the 10 year carte de resident until you've lived 4 years in France as the spouse of a French citizen.

And to get a spouse visa in the first place, you now must go through the OFII process on arrival - which includes assessment of your level of French, including compulsory French classes if your French is judged to be inadequate (as well as the "Life in France" and "Civics" classes). (The level they require is actually fairly basic, but apparently they now have a standardized test rather than just leaving it to the discretion of the interviewer at the OFII.)

Fulfillment of the conditions of your "contract of integration" is said to be a requirement of getting your first carte de séjour after your first year in France. (The first year you get a "titre de séjour" - which is a sticker that "validates" the visa in your passport.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replying to Bev via IPhone so not sure if your message will be quoted. You definitely know the subject. Could I ask you a question for personal purposes (intellectual curiosity if you like)?
Most countries shorten the period an individual has to remain within the national borders to get a residency if the person is enrolled in high-school or university courses (a real education program, like the B-M-PHd in Anglo-Saxon world or the heinously complex French diploma system).
For example in Switzerland, again if things haven't changed since a while and they most likely did: 10 years of residency is equivalent to 5 years of education (when counting towards the citizenship requirement).
Question: Does this work in France and if so can it be combined with the marriage year count?
You say four years before 10 year carte de sejour, what if the Non-EU citizen is enrolled in a Licence or Master or DESS or something of that nature? Will that shorten the four year requirement?
Thanks Bev.

·
Administrator
51,272 Posts
Depends what you're going for.

If you want to naturalize as a French citizen (which has a whole bunch of requirements other than the residence requirement), your residence time in France is reduced to only 2 years if you have completed ("with success") 2 years as part of a diploma program in a French institute of higher education (i.e. university level). But the two years residence is the time necessary at the time you submit your application for naturalization. That takes about a year to process, so you need to be legally living in France during that time (ostensibly, employed).

For the 10 year carte de residente, officially you need to have lived in the France for 5 years, though for the spouse of a French citizen, they'll give you one after 4 years. Theory seems to be that you're eligible for a carte de residente when you would theoretically be eligible to apply for citizenship. But I don't think they recognize the 2-year student thing.

Take a look at the Service Public website for further details: Bénéficiaires de plein droit de la carte de résident - Service-public.fr but this is still France and your mileage may very well vary.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2nd cds

Thanks for your responds. I am a Non-Eu citizen from Ghana. I am married to British National 5 years ago. I have received the first CDS, as a family member of Eu National. Do you mean I should apply for Carte de Resident (10 Years) when next I need to renew my card?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.