Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if DIBP favour common wealth countries when looking at immigration applications.

I think I read somewhere they do with New Zealand, but no sure if that information was valid, and if it was does it extend to Canada and UK.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Just wondering if DIBP favour common wealth countries when looking at immigration applications.

I think I read somewhere they do with New Zealand, but no sure if that information was valid, and if it was does it extend to Canada and UK.

Thanks
Till you yourself are not confident about the source of your opinion, i believe no one else will be able to suggest.

FYI, there is a New Zealand stream introduced. There are some ties up between OZ and NZ though

·
Registered
79 Posts
My own personal opinion that it is quicker for Australia to verify your information with commonwealth countries given their extensive data sharing.

Reactions: Meshach14

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts

Thanks
Australia has a unique relationship with NZ, with residents being able to move comparatively freely between them.

This is not connected with either country's status as a Commonwealth nation, but rather as a result of geographic location, similar background and some closely-shared history.

Australia does not favour applications from Commonwealth countries, although many of those (and many non-Commonwealth nations) are considered to be lower-risk, so processing may be faster for those countries given that.

Given the English language requirement for skilled migration, it's logical that many applicants will come from nations that speak English, and some of these may indeed be Commonwealth countries, but it's worth noting that two of the top four countries for skilled migration to Australia are China and the Philippines - neither are Commonwealth countries. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts