Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just reading our marriage form we need to submit and can't believe i didn't spot this before.

To any Americans who have come over to the UK (particularly Scotland) to marry and have not lived in the UK for 2 years, do you know if we need one of these certificates of no impediment to marriage?

The form says most European countries issue them but other countries may not do so. If we're unable to enclose such a certificate, state the reason why.

So really the questions are:
- Does she need one?
- If yes, where/how quickly/cheaply can it be obtained?

And if no, phew!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi,

Just reading our marriage form we need to submit and can't believe i didn't spot this before.

To any Americans who have come over to the UK (particularly Scotland) to marry and have not lived in the UK for 2 years, do you know if we need one of these certificates of no impediment to marriage?

The form says most European countries issue them but other countries may not do so. If we're unable to enclose such a certificate, state the reason why.

So really the questions are:
- Does she need one?
- If yes, where/how quickly/cheaply can it be obtained?

And if no, phew!

I don't know if there is such a thing as a "certificate of no impediment to marriage" in the States, though I've never heard of one. I know that I came over on a fiance visa in 2009 and neither I (US citizen) nor my English fiancee had such a certificate. We were asked to state whether either of us had ever been married or in a "relationship similar to marriage," which seemed very vague and catch-all. My fiancee stated that she had, and was asked to explain. Then she wrote a letter explaining that although she had lived with a previous partner for x years, she had never been married to anyone. They accepted this and my visa was processed in 3 weeks.

Good luck! If this is a recent development hopefully someone more informed can advise you.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I came over on a fiancé visa this year and I did not have one. I don't think they're required for US citizens.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for those answers. It would be great to swat this sudden worry away immediately so I'm hoping the Registrar gets back to me quickly and confirms that there's no need for a US citizen to have one of these.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Not required. UK authorities don't ask for it, you just have to make a declaration you are free to marry. Only if you have been married before, you need to submit your divorce papers or death certificate.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We got married in Scotland and the registrar insisted on it - we provided. I am sure the document can be substituted with a declaration though.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
If you go for a civil ceremony, you have to make declaratory and contracting words as part of your marriage vows:
Your marriage vows

This is all that is normally required, except in case of divorce or widowhood.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.