Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My family is relocating to Melbourne next month. I will be working on 457.
My wife like me is also a Computer Science Engineer and has 8 years experience
in PHP and Web Design coding with companies like Yahoo and Intel in Bangalore.

My question is:

While she goes out looking for a job in Melbourne, do most employers ask positive ACS skill assessment report ? Does having one really help in interviews for 457 dependents ?

My assumption is that in most full time or temporary positions, PR / Citizens are given
preference over a 457 dependent VISA holder.

Kindly advice.
Regards
Asheesh.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi,

My question is:

While she goes out looking for a job in Melbourne, do most employers ask positive ACS skill assessment report ? Does having one really help in interviews for 457 dependents ?

My assumption is that in most full time or temporary positions, PR / Citizens are given

Kindly advice.
Regards
Asheesh.
Skills assessment is not at all needed to find and secure a job in Australia, infact many employers wouldn't even know the meaning of this term.

PRs and citizens are preferred over 458 dependants, atleast this is what I heard since I am also a 457 dependant:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skills assessment is not at all needed to find and secure a job in Australia, infact many employers wouldn't even know the meaning of this term.

PRs and citizens are preferred over 458 dependants, atleast this is what I heard since I am also a 457 dependant:)
Thank you Varun. Do you live and work in Australia ? How hard was it for you to get a job as 457 dependent ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thank you Varun. Do you live and work in Australia ? How hard was it for you to get a job as 457 dependent ?
Asheesh I am moving on 457 dependant visa in mid of june so don't have an an answer to your question. At the other hand, I have applied for the PR as well, expecting to get the grant in july

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the best with your PR Varun. I applied for PR 189 as well ( 65pts, Software Programmer, IELTS 7.5) and my EOI is in submit state. Due to occupation ceiling exhaustion, my invite is probably pushed out to July 1st week.

So I will leave India in June with family and be in Melbourne when I get invited. Will have to finish my process then.

Where are you moving to ?

-cheers
Asheesh

·
Registered
151 Posts
All the best with your PR Varun. I applied for PR 189 as well ( 65pts, Software Programmer, IELTS 7.5) and my EOI is in submit state. Due to occupation ceiling exhaustion, my invite is probably pushed out to July 1st week.

So I will leave India in June with family and be in Melbourne when I get invited. Will have to finish my process then.

Where are you moving to ?

-cheers
Asheesh
Thanks Asheesh and good luck with the invite! We are moving to Sydney.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi,

My question is:

Kindly advice.
Regards
Asheesh.
At the moment most of the dependent 457 visa holders even 309 spouse visa holders would find it difficult to get the job , but that's not entirely true as places like NSW you can try and look for one and since she has experience in some reputed firms she might get calls.

Cheers

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be in Victoria (Melbourne ) and not NSW. So my wife will be looking out for work on dependent 457 in Melbourne.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts