Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, I have a quick question: when I move to Paris next week what documents should I ensure to bring in order to be able to open a standard resident's current account?

I am a UK citizen, so I'll have an EU passport. I'll also be able to provide proof of French address and income from my employers. On top of that I have a translation of my birth certificate that I need for social security.

Is this typically enough? I've read in some places that one needs a reference from their UK bank, and this sounds like it would be a lot of hassle to obtain.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Any advice on other pitfalls of opening a French account from those in the know would be welcome!

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
If you check the website of the particular bank that you're going to open an account with, it should list the specific documents it will require. Each bank has its own requirements. But you seem to have covered all the typical things that most banks ask for. Maybe take a couple of recent statements from your UK bank as well.

·
Administrator
50,002 Posts
Normally, to open an account, you need to make an appointment (usually for the next day). When you make that appointment, they should be able to give you a list of what specific documents they will require. It sounds as though you have most of the bases covered, but each bank has its own list and there is always some "odd" requirement.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
88 Posts
I opened a bank account two days ago and it was all fairly straightforward. The only thing I was missing was a copy of a recent bank statement for my Canadian bank account, but they let me log into my online bank account on their PC to print the documents. Other than that, I required a passport and proof of address. As others have said, it's probably branch-specific, so check with them when you make the appointment. Good luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just married a UK citizen living in France. I am a US citizen. He added me to his bank account in France. For this, I had to send the bank information about my employment history and pay slips mortgage, and tax documents from the previous year. It all seemed strange to me, but c'est la vie.

·
Administrator
50,002 Posts
The banks in all countries are under pressure from the international groups (OECD, IMF, etc.) to "know their customers." It is supposed to be part of the global effort to prevent money-laundering and tax evasion. Even back in the US, they ask for more and more i.d. before you can open a new bank account these days.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
We found that they also needed copies of utility bills, with names in full, and for all parties if a joint account. That was the requirement of our bank, HSBC, and we have been with them for 30+ years!

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes it feels a bit like an interrogation opening a French account but I found that having a local sponsor from my village who also held an account at the same branch helped a great deal as they confirmed that they knew us and that we live at the address given. After this all was straightforward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.