Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am currently attending B.E (Mechanical) at University of Technology, Sydney in Sydney Australia. This is my final semester which I will accomplish my course in December.

I am orginally from Burma holding U.S green card and thinking to migrate there to find a job as it is hard to get permanent residency in Australia after I graduate. It is only possible for me to get temporary graduate visa which valid for 18 months only. To apply that I need to sit for the IELTS (similar to TOFEL) and get the necessary score.

So, here, I am requesting to give 2 kinds of advices welcoming from all of you.
1. Will it be easier to find a job for me to go to U.S directly after I graduate?
2. What documents or assessments do I need to bring to apply a job as a professional mechanical engineer in USA other than the academic transcript?

More advices and recommendations are welcomed.

Han

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
1. It is not easy for new graduates to land a job; especially as you lack the network normally built up during education.
2. You may want to get your transcripts evaluated by an organization such as WES.

How long have you been in Australia?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. It is not easy for new graduates to land a job; especially as you lack the network normally built up during education.
2. You may want to get your transcripts evaluated by an organization such as WES.

How long have you been in Australia?
I have been in Australia for almost 4 years. I can see the network is critically important from my university experience but most of my friends are on the same boat or some are intending to go back to their country.

Thanks for referring WES, i will definitely have a look.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
I have been in Australia for almost 4 years. I can see the network is critically important from my university experience but most of my friends are on the same boat or some are intending to go back to their country.

Thanks for referring WES, i will definitely have a look.
You posted that you are a US Green Card holder. What steps have you taken to keep it active?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I think, as you have a green card and have lived in Australia for 4 years.....you'll probably find you don't have status as a LPR any more.

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
No, green card holders who are genuine full time university students overseas are fine, especially if the spend their term break(s) in the U.S. I would advise having some student records on hand along with the usual evidence of continued U.S. residence, but reportedly it's not a problem reentering.

However, while there's probably no cause for panic yet, there is cause for concern with a stay beyond university in Australia. That may get more worrisome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts