Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Note that lots of people mention getting degrees attested, as well as all the personal certificates etc.
If you have a job to come to, do you need to do that?
The degree is a vocational one, in the field of m career
Think mine are still in the tube from the mid-nineties degree ceremony!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Yes, you would generally need it for the visa process. Your HR department should guide you. There are a lot of threads on the forum specifically relating to this subject.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, you do need to get your degree attested. There are a few steps involved but it's not as bad as some people make it seem.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just about to fire birth and marriage certificates off to F&C office in Milton Keynes before taking them to UAE embassy in London.

Lawyer chap is telling me i need notarised photographs etc as well for the F&C process.
I say balls to this.

Is he right, or just after a notary public fee?

·
Banned
423 Posts
Well as I don't have a degree I never had that problem, can't recall now what i did with birth certificates etc, seem to recall a trip to British Embassy and then to some dodgy place in Deira where i bought a stamp!

(That was a not much help post by Toon)

·
Registered
362 Posts
No, you don't need to get your photos attested. Degree, marriage and birth certs will be fine. As government-issued docs the birth and marriage certificates don't need to be notarised before going to the FCO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Toon said:
Well as I don't have a degree I never had that problem, can't recall now what i did with birth certificates etc, seem to recall a trip to British Embassy and then to some dodgy place in Deira where i bought a stamp!

(That was a not much help post by Toon)
I don't have a degree either so will they need gcse Certs instead I've lost them seen as it was 1997 ha

·
Registered
64 Posts
My company is going to reclassify me as a "salesman" because I don't have a degree and don't need one for my job.

·
Registered
30 Posts
woot79 said:
My company is going to reclassify me as a "salesman" because I don't have a degree and don't need one for my job.
I'm in insurance I'm not sure I've ever needed one for mine either. So do you need copies of birth Certs for applying for a visa ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
woot79 said:
My firm are reclassifying my job title and salary too as I lost all GCSE certs several years ago, they assure me it won't affect my actual salary etc. assume this is standard procedure if no certs can be provided.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My firm are reclassifying my job title and salary too as I lost all GCSE certs several years ago, they assure me it won't affect my actual salary etc. assume this is standard procedure if no certs can be provided.
I heard that to be classified as a Manager over here, you must have a degree. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

Also, when they put your employment visa through the cost to the company varies dependant on the position, so you'll see Managers put through as assistants etc. No change to the actual job or salary though so don't worry.

As for the attestation, I just sent my certificate off to one of the numerous firms in Blighty that do the whole thing for you. Think it cost me about 140-ish quid and they did everything for me, and sent the certificate back through the post. Hassle-free and well worth the cost in my book. No pics are required.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The ministry of labour issues visas around you academic history, so if you have a degree you can have a job title from a set of standard job roles (usually manager related) . High school certificate there is a different sets of roles (such as archive clerk)

So with out your certs you can only have a title that is allowed off the list. Bit stupid and pointless as they dont take into account any experience you may have.Personally im not bothered if my title on my visa is 5hithouse cleaner as long as my salarys the same as my contract.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Laowei said:
The ministry of labour issues visas around you academic history, so if you have a degree you can have a job title from a set of standard job roles (usually manager related) . High school certificate there is a different sets of roles (such as archive clerk)

So with out your certs you can only have a title that is allowed off the list. Bit stupid and pointless as they dont take into account any experience you may have.Personally im not bothered if my title on my visa is 5hithouse cleaner as long as my salarys the same as my contract.
Isn't there less restrictive constraits on travel in and out if you are classified as a "sales manager" for example?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes, it matters. For example, my DH was listed as "manager" i stead of "managing direcotr" on his visa and trade license. He got a 30 day single entry visa for Saudi, and his employee, a "engineering manager" got a 90 day multiple entry visa. It was all about the job title, even though DH has a higher degree, is the boss, etc. So it matters if you are going to need things like this.

·
Registered
831 Posts
terdubai said:
Yes, it matters. For example, my DH was listed as "manager" i stead of "managing direcotr" on his visa and trade license. He got a 30 day single entry visa for Saudi, and his employee, a "engineering manager" got a 90 day multiple entry visa. It was all about the job title, even though DH has a higher degree, is the boss, etc. So it matters if you are going to need things like this.
Not yet resident in UAE, have 180 day business man's visa for Saudi as a director, haven't needed degree evidence.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not yet resident in UAE, have 180 day business man's visa for Saudi as a director, haven't needed degree evidence.
Guess that was issued in the UK as your visa status doesnt matter. With regard to saudi if you donet have a manager title on your visa it may be diifcult to get a visa issued.

For me the easy and fairly quick way around was to use an agent in the UK. Send you passport by DHL they get the visa issued within 48hrs and shipped back by courier. Generally they can get 3-6 month multi-entry, as already said in the UK they use the invite letter job title for the visa and not the reference to 'archives clerk' in your passport.:confused2:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well that's a whole raft of certificates and degrees and crap sent off to the F&C Office. Hopefully it all comes back this week!

Can anyone tell me what the queues are like at the UAE Embassy in London?
Plan to go down and pay for the 'same day' service (an extra £10 a pop)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Apparently we have a public relations consultant who deals with our visas for us. I don't have a degree so does that mean I'm ok without certificates or do I have to do something here in the UK before I go?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
A rundown of my recent experience - still in UK, needing to send copies of Degree and 2 Diplomas to Health Authority of Abu Dhabi (Stringent requirements.)

Step 1. Remove documents from their frames to get good quality copies.
Step 2. Take originals and copies to Notary Public (there is only one of the solicitors in my solicitors practice - he comes in only once a week.)
Step 3. Solicitor/Notary "Notarises" the copies as true. (Wax, pink ribbon etc.)
Step 4. Copies go to FCO at Milton Keynes for "Apostation."
Step. The "Notarised and Apostated" documents then need to go to the UAE Embassy in London, for "Legalisation." Needless to say money changes hands at each step, and to couriers if you don't deliver and pick up yourself (Recommended!!)

I hope that helps a little

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.