Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tought by my parents that when I go to someone's else house, I need to respect the rules of that house and same goes for the country.
If I go to Saudi Arabia or Iran, I cannot uncover my head or shoulders just because I am different religion or culture.
Why so many people, including this forum, make unrespectable comments about arabs, muslims, way of life, etc here? I don't defend anyone but I really can't get it - what are you doing here if you don't like it? Go back home and enjoy your usual environment. You ARE in a muslim country, and this country pays you looks like better than your home country, so what the he.l? Do you agree?:mad:

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I agree to a point Definately, Saudi is different and its not for people to go and try to change it - their rules and ways are to be respected! However, sometimes this forum gives people a chance to let off steam!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
If you make a choice to move to another country then you have to accept the laws and live by them. That said, it does not mean you cannot disagree with some of them and want to change them.

I don't think you can say the country pays salaries either. Many people are working for international companies or are self-employed so are really getting little from the UAE itself.

-

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you make a choice to move to another country then you have to accept the laws and live by them. That said, it does not mean you cannot disagree with some of them and want to change them.

I don't think you can say the country pays salaries either. Many people are working for international companies or are self-employed so are really getting little from the UAE itself.

-
I disagree, the salary range in UAE is much better than in the same company in other countries as hardly anywhere else in the world you will get your house, car insurance, fuel etc paid by the company.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I disagree, the salary range in UAE is much better than in the same company in other countries as hardly anywhere else in the world you will get your house, car insurance, fuel etc paid by the company.
Just a few people are are feather-bed packages these days & what has that got to do with the government unless they are working for a government entity? I have hundreds of clients in the UAE and I can assure you that fewer and fewer people are on full packages.

Please re-read my post to understand what I am saying.

-

·
Banned
6,690 Posts
It's paid in that way (allowances etc.) so that the company don't have to pay bigger gratuities (as end of service is based purely on basic). And having housing etc. "given" to you by employers is common practice the world over for expats that are hired from abroad.

As for salary range, to compare like for like - eg Emirates and BA - the salaries Emirates pay are rubbish in comparison, ie a lot less than half the equivalent person is on in the UK and yes, that includes all allowances.

At the other end of the scale, a lot of the labourers her are paid more than in their home country - you just have to see the (relative) amount they send back each month to see that, so in that respect, yes they are paid more.

Horses for courses I guess...

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a few people are are feather-bed packages these days & what has that got to do with the government unless they are working for a government entity? I have hundreds of clients in the UAE and I can assure you that fewer and fewer people are on full packages.

Please re-read my post to understand what I am saying.

-
No need to re-read, I can speak English :))
anyhow the concept in not about the salary, but about attitude people express towards muslims and arabs and in return we hear from them - porkeaters
it's a sad ping pong, isn't it?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
No need to re-read, I can speak English :))
anyhow the concept in not about the salary, but about attitude people express towards muslims and arabs and in return we hear from them - porkeaters
it's a sad ping pong, isn't it?

Its unfortunately how humans are - tribal!

Jo xxx

·
Banned
598 Posts
Live in thier country, respect thier rules. The end.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I follow the rules, I don't respect them or the UAE really.

Emiratis don't want me in their country, they want to use my skills to bring wealth to them then kick me out when they don't need me any more.

I'm here to use my skills to bring wealth to myself so I don't have to stay any longer than I have to.

If I wasn't treated with contempt and wasn't prohibited from putting roots down here I may feel differently.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
This country isnt nearly as strict as other countries, and as such, I agreed to come here for half of what I would have gotten if I had went to one of the other countries over here. I had the choice to go to different countries and we were not required to wear the garb regardless of any place that I choose (iraq, afghan, qatar, kuwait). I choose here simply because I would have to deal with less from the 'locals'.

This is a muslim dominated country, so be it. I am not muslim, so will not follow muslim ways. My emirati friend is perfectly fine with me the way I am and we get along quite well. Respect their rules and obey laws. Other then that, I dont have to respect a whole lot. I dont go along with the status quo 'christianity' crazies at home either.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I follow the rules and obey the law.

As for respect, that is another thing. I believe it should be earned, and should go both ways. If I feel fully respected both as a foreign of whatever nationality I am, and also as a woman, this nation and its nationals will have my full respect. Unfortunately I've had a couple of bad experiences where I have been personally bullied and harrassed therefore my level of respect remains neutral. I hope my future interactions with Emiratis go better :)

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Agree with Gavtek, to respect a country that only let`s you stay here because they can`t run it for themselves you really have no self respect. As Andy touched on, you only have to look at the way Emirates has been treating it`s pilots over the past couple of years to see how much respect expat proffessionals receive for their labours. We are here to do what they can`t and to take the money and leave. This country doesn`t want you the just need you!!

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am surprised... we have lots of Emarati friends very educated and respectable people open-minded and conservative at the same time with a fair balance of both, sorry about your bad experiences

·
Registered
30 Posts
yes, there are many a good Emirati, but it's that bad apple that we always think about, or that gets on our nerves. I agree with Andy, learn it, live it, and Be Have!! Grrrrwl! Anyway, one must learn the rules before they can break them. In the words of Frost, "why not go out on a limb, isn't that where the fruit is?"

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think the crux of the issue is that unlike ex-pats in our home countries who are entitled to stand up and have their voices heard, here in the UAE, questioning the establishment is Taboo. Therefore you tend to find people come onto these forums to vent, for fear of recriminations for doing so in public.

I whole heartedly agree that as individuals I would struggle to point to a Local person I have met and didn't like. My local friends, and others I have met have never been anything other than welcoming and generally lovely. Overly obsessed with revving their engines at 2am but that's another story!

My problem is, I find a theocratic society difficult to relate to my own values. I respect to an extent anyone's ability to have faith in anything, but as someone who thinks it odd to believe in a religion and god that didn't show up until 4 billion years after the earth was created, i have a problem with it playing any part in the running of a society.

My biggest problem is that I was a Student Union President and so spent 4 years in college campaigning for equal rights for women, black students, Muslims, Jews, gay students and those with disabilities (non exhaustive) and so laws which actively seek to discriminate against any such groups, rile me.

I actually really like the UAE, the climate, the multiculturalism, the locals. But I don't like Government discrimination and that will always prevent me from 100% respecting the country.

I do however respect the achievements they have made, and the moves towards a more moderate society. I respect the Arab hospitality and the warmth I have been shown. I also respect Shwarma & Sheisha!

Basically I am not having a go, I am just pointing to the reasons why some may find certain aspects of society here hard to deal with, and I think it better that they come on here and have a little rant than let it build up and get them down.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the crux of the issue is that unlike ex-pats in our home countries who are entitled to stand up and have their voices heard, here in the UAE, questioning the establishment is Taboo. Therefore you tend to find people come onto these forums to vent, for fear of recriminations for doing so in public.

I whole heartedly agree that as individuals I would struggle to point to a Local person I have met and didn't like. My local friends, and others I have met have never been anything other than welcoming and generally lovely. Overly obsessed with revving their engines at 2am but that's another story!

My problem is, I find a theocratic society difficult to relate to my own values. I respect to an extent anyone's ability to have faith in anything, but as someone who thinks it odd to believe in a religion and god that didn't show up until 4 billion years after the earth was created, i have a problem with it playing any part in the running of a society.

My biggest problem is that I was a Student Union President and so spent 4 years in college campaigning for equal rights for women, black students, Muslims, Jews, gay students and those with disabilities (non exhaustive) and so laws which actively seek to discriminate against any such groups, rile me.

I actually really like the UAE, the climate, the multiculturalism, the locals. But I don't like Government discrimination and that will always prevent me from 100% respecting the country.

I do however respect the achievements they have made, and the moves towards a more moderate society. I respect the Arab hospitality and the warmth I have been shown. I also respect Shwarma & Sheisha!

Basically I am not having a go, I am just pointing to the reasons why some may find certain aspects of society here hard to deal with, and I think it better that they come on here and have a little rant than let it build up and get them down.

wish everyone would have your wisdom !!!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.