Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the jobs on the skilled immigration lists, like "interpreter" and "baker," are jobs you can get without having completed secondary education. I know there's the Australian Qualifications Framework, but I'm a little confused about it. Would the proper experience or vocational training certificate or degree or in the skilled position qualify an applicant without a secondary school diploma?

This doesn't actually apply to me, except for the wanting to immigrate to Australia part, but this question came up the other day and I realized I had no idea.

G

·
Usually you would need a high school diploma or similar from other countries to enable you to get a place on a college course to train or start an aprenticeship to be a baker etc. But no it is not part of the essential criteria if your college accepted you to train without it and you then passed the course. But people that need IELTS high school more important although again you do not need it and could pass it without and lots of studying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mikeandikes77 said:
Some of the jobs on the skilled immigration lists, like "interpreter" and "baker," are jobs you can get without having completed secondary education. I know there's the Australian Qualifications Framework, but I'm a little confused about it. Would the proper experience or vocational training certificate or degree or in the skilled position qualify an applicant without a secondary school diploma?

This doesn't actually apply to me, except for the wanting to immigrate to Australia part, but this question came up the other day and I realized I had no idea.
For skilled immigration Australia you have to proof that you have passed high school,any vocational course, any professional degree with experience

G

·
No you do not need proof of high school! Many people get professional qualifications without graduating high school by going to college, doing aprenticships and maybe university after that although uni not needed for many trades such as builders, bakers etc an aprenticeship is enough.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No you do not need proof of high school! Many people get professional qualifications without graduating high school by going to college, doing aprenticships and maybe university after that although uni not needed for many trades such as builders, bakers etc an aprenticeship is enough.
Thanks everyone! Everyone's so nice here :)

Do they have visas for these apprenticeships? It's interesting that people are mentioning them, because in America they don't seem to have them or advertise them. I guess it's not an ingrained cultural thing to just go do an apprenticeship, so I'm

There are some professions, like Interpreter, that seem to only require work experience and passing the NAATI interpreting tests and getting the appropriate qualification. There's no further educational requirement for things like this, or beyond apprenticeships for builders, bakers, etc.? I guess I'm a little confused by the AQF; it seems very structured and stratified and it makes it seem like you absolutely need a certain level of formal education before qualifying for skilled immigration. Or have I just misinterpreted it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.