Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First post so be gentle.

I've trawled this and many sites but can't find the answer to one question; if your job is on the CSL (mine is :)), do i still need to get accredited with the relevant organistaion in Australia (in my case, the ACS) to be able to apply for a job in Australia (for example, thats on a job search engine). I have spoken to migration agents and forgot to ask this question (we already have applied under my wifes Teaching application in Oct 08 but been advised our case won't be looked at until 2012 now :mad:) so desparate to get into the country. We travelled on a worknig visa in 2006-2007 and got offered sponsorship then but decided to come home back to England to save money. Oh how I wish i could change that decision after all the Visa changes...:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

First post so be gentle.

I've trawled this and many sites but can't find the answer to one question; if your job is on the CSL (mine is :)), do i still need to get accredited with the relevant organistaion in Australia (in my case, the ACS) to be able to apply for a job in Australia (for example, thats on a job search engine). I have spoken to migration agents and forgot to ask this question (we already have applied under my wifes Teaching application in Oct 08 but been advised our case won't be looked at until 2012 now :mad:) so desparate to get into the country. We travelled on a worknig visa in 2006-2007 and got offered sponsorship then but decided to come home back to England to save money. Oh how I wish i could change that decision after all the Visa changes...:(
I think that your skills will still have to be assessed even if you get sponsorship and i presume even if your skill is on the critical skills list. My husband has been offered sponsorship (his skills are not on the critical skill list) and his skill have to be assessed. It would seem to be me to be difficult to get sponsorship unless you were in Australia or knew someone. Would you not consider a visa under the critial skills lists as then you would not be tied to anyone.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Kingbear:

I want to clarify something, let's use the ACS as an example.

You need to get assessed for your skill by a professional organisation (ACS is the one for all IT related skills). After that DIAC uses the assessment to determine if you have:

1. Priority for processing based on your skill if ACS has assessed you for a skill on on the CSL/MODL lists.
2. If you have enough years of experience in the skill

This skill assessment is one of the common phases of visa applications.

The other commons phases are:
1. Police checks
2. Health checks

Hi,

First post so be gentle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks both for the input (sorry, been away for a few weeks)
You are both correct, I am attempting to get accredited now, but, as we've always planned to move in August 2010, I want to ensure I have a chance of doing this via sponsorship, so, if someone confirms that once accredited I can literally apply for a job in Australia, would be great.
I've got no problem in lodging another 175 Visa, but not confident that will get approved in the time period i'm looking at.
amaslam, you mention the Police/Health checks, should I get these done as a matter of course or wait to be advised to do them? I'm unsure if I need to get the Health check done anywhere or at a designated organisation.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As i don't have a degree/masters in Computing, I need to supply 8 years of work experience (which I have). I have contacted my last 3 managers who are all happy to write me a reference (which would cover 12 years of working experience) but what do i actually need them to do? Is it just a normal reference or more? I did read on one thread about getting it on company headed paper (I can't find that thread to add to), which although is ok for 2 of the 3 as they still work for that company, but one doesn't. Do I need them to get a copy (certified) of their Passports/Driving License/ID cards (not sure anyone has one of them)/etc. Basically, whats the full criteria the ACS will require this.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts