Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am on a YMS visa since November 30th, 2015, and I am planning to switch to an unmarried partners visa. I am a little bit concerned about proving that I was living with my partner from day 1.

When I got here, I was not thinking about the unmarried partners visa, so I just got settled in and didn't worry about having concrete proof mailed to me. I picked up my BRP on December 9th, but nothing was mailed to me documenting that(I just have the post office receipt stapled to a form about my BRP-no address on it).

So my first OFFICIAL letter is dated Dec 18th for my NI number from UK Gov.
My partner has official mail from November 25, 2015 from HMRC(should this be included?)

We were staying in his brothers home for the first 7 months of my stay, and I have seen other people on this forum saying they included letters from housemates /family/etc confirming they were living together, because like us, they too did not have shared bills, tenancy agreements, etc, for a portion of the two years.

Should we include a letter from brother/brothers partner, saying they can confirm I arrived November 30th and lived there until end of July 2016 with my partner? We could also have his parents write a similar testament. And my parents.

Otherwise, how do we confirm I moved into that house and were cohabiting together on the first day of my visa?

I am fully a part of his family, as he is to mine. We have been together since 2011, so would it also carry any weight to include old pictures showing him with my family and me with his family going back years and years?... as far as 2012.

Looking to the end of the 2 year requirement, do I need to provide an official letter as close to the day I send my application? eg. apply for a provisional driving license about a week before we plan to post application. Just to minimize any time between the last thing we get sent here to our flat and the date we post our application?

Will the time it takes for them to review our application from the day we mail it help?

Do we have a chance or being a bit too hopeful?

Thanks so much for your time. We really appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
There is always a chance for every application.

You have been asking questions regarding your staying at relative's house for 7 out of the 24 months required for unmarried partner visa since June.

You have provided evidence of documentation sent to the relative's address for both of you (letters send to individuals, not jointly).

No-one can give you a guarantee that you will get the visa.

You can send in those official letters and statements from your relatives regarding the 7 month stay. You must also provide documentation for your current accommodation (presume this IS jointly rented) and any other documentation which shows you co-habited prior to entering the UK in Nov 2015.

Then its just down to hoping the ECO does agree you have lived as unmarried partners in a relationship akin to marriage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your response, Crawford.

I have a few questions:

" You can send in those official letters and statements from your relatives regarding the 7 month stay."

- So I will be relying on these statements to prove I was living there for the first 18 days of my visa. Will it be sufficient for our relatives to print and then sign their letters or is something more official required like notarization?

"You must also provide documentation for your current accommodation (presume this IS jointly rented) and any other documentation which shows you co-habited prior to entering the UK in Nov 2015."

- Yes, we jointly rent a flat as of July 2016.

- We did not cohabit before Nov 30, 2015 so no official documentation of that. He did stay with me for the month of august 2015 at my apartment in Canada. Is that worth trying to prove?

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
The statements from relatives do not have to be notarized.

Keep in mind, that these statements are not going to bear as much weight by any means as having official letters (either to you jointly or individually) addressed to you at your relative's address.

The rule for unmarried partner visa is continuous living for two years in a relationship akin to marriage, and the strong evidence of this is joint rental agreements/joint utility bills, bank statements etc covering this period.

You do not have all this evidence, so your chances are reduced.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information, Crawford. I can only hope that between the history we have as a couple, the mail sent to us individually, the letters from relatives, plus any other less official evidence such as travel itineraries, that the ECO will consider our time there as being akin to marriage. It is something we need to decide if we want to risk considering we won't get back 993 pounds, and I will have a black mark so to speak on my passport.

I have another concern I hope you can help me with:

I went home three times over the 2 years to see my family. Once in May 2016 for just under one month, and my partner was working so he could not join me.

Then I went on my own again in January 2017 for three weeks(late Christmas due to my work) and June/july 2017 for 2.5 weeks. Those were all times when I could have time off work, but he couldn't.

Is that also grounds for a refusal?

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
The vacations won't jeopardise your application.

Why don't you get married? That will make your plans so much easier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The vacations won't jeopardise your application.

Why don't you get married? That will make your plans so much easier.
Ok thank you.

With regards to marriage, it wouldn't be our first choice to do a registry office wedding but considered it. However, we thought with only a month and a half left on my visa, that we would not have time to put in notice. I've read on UK gov website that you must post notice of your intention to marry 28 days in advance and that it can take up to 70 days for non EU citizens or those with limited time left legally in the UK.

Am I incorrect?

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
Yes, the notice period is at least 28 days and your case could be referred to the Home Office who might extend the notice period to up to 70 days.

Just to clarify, a letter from your brother-in-law explaining that you lived with him and all bills were in his name will probably be helpful but letters from any other relatives are irrelevant.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, thank you Nyclon.

Do you know if it's worth including a print out of a receipt (Amazon) for Dec 9th (9 days after visa started, but 9 days sooner than my first official workplace and pensions letter dated Dec 19)?

Another example being joint flight itinerary.

I read a post on here recently where someone had stayed with family and friends at different times and they were advised to include anything unofficial for those times as well to show ties to that address. I don't want to provide too much that is just junk to the ECO though.

Also, is a gap of January 19 and June 16 ok for official correspondence for myself only(just under 5 months)? With my partner providing 1 or 2 official letters/documents between those dates.

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
Okay, thank you Nyclon.

Do you know if it's worth including a print out of a receipt (Amazon) for Dec 9th (9 days after visa started, but 9 days sooner than my first official workplace and pensions letter dated Dec 19?
No, it's not. It doesn't prove that you lived there, just that the package was delivered there.

Another example being joint flight itinerary.
No. They are looking for post from official sources.

I read a post on here recently where someone had stayed with family and friends at different times and they were advised to include anything unofficial for those times as well to show ties to that address. I don't want to provide too much that is just junk to the ECO though.
No.

Also, is a gap of January 19 and June 16 ok for official correspondence for myself only(just under 5 months)? With my partner providing 1 or 2 official letters/documents between those dates.
We suggest that your correspondence is fairly evenly spread out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for such a quick response.

Okay, I don't have anything official sent to me between those dates though. I have something Dec 18, January 19, June 16th and a few things in July before we moved into our apartment. Nothing february to may. Only my partner does. :/

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
thanks for such a quick response.

Okay, I don't have anything official sent to me between those dates though. I have something Dec 18, January 19, June 16th and a few things in July before we moved into our apartment. Nothing february to may. Only my partner does. :/
You can only provide what you have.....if what you have is to you and partner individually then that is what you can provide.

The only real proof you have of co-habiting and with joint responsibilities is from June 2016 to your application in November 2017. It is a shaky application to say the least.

When you wrote that you had been together since 2012 I though that was as an unmarried couple living together - but that is not the case. You only had shared accommodation from the start of your YMS visa - and that was with relatives.

The two year co-habiting period is one of the most important parts of the unmarried partner visa - you really do not have that proof.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Crawford, sorry for the late reply I've been thinking a lot. Need to decide by the end of this week if we will risk trying to stay in the UK or if I'll sponsor my partner as Canada common law (outland application ) which just requires 1 year proof of living together. He would stay in the UK and work, and I would go home. While that is processing he may receive an invitation for the international experience Canada visa(this December will be the first rounds - no guarantee) and could come over a bit sooner than the common law visa takes to finish processing... Hm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.