Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do teachers in Dubai especially those teaching in Indian schools get paid during public holidays including Summer, Id, Diwali and Christmas vacations?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Everyone gets paid for public holidays, however, summer vacation, diwali & christmas are not public holidays in UAE. Am not sure what Id is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyone gets paid for public holidays, however, summer vacation, diwali & christmas are not public holidays in UAE. Am not sure what Id is.
So are you saying that teachers in Dubai do not get paid during vacations (summer, winter, Diwali, Christmas, etc...)?

·
Registered
451 Posts
So are you saying that teachers in Dubai do not get paid during vacations (summer, winter, Diwali, Christmas, etc...)?
I never said that. I answered a question, whether they get paid during public holidays, and corrected a piece of info that the above mentioned festives are not public holidays in UAE.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never said that. I answered a question, whether they get paid during public holidays, and corrected a piece of info that the above mentioned festives are not public holidays in UAE.
Ok thanks for the answers but do you know if they get paid during vacations?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes teachers are paid 12 months of the year and salary is paid each month pro rata. Although they do not normally pay the August salary for teachers who are returning for the next academic year as this is paid upon your arrival back in the country. They are paid for the month of July with their June salary.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes teachers are paid 12 months of the year and salary is paid each month pro rata. Although they do not normally pay the August salary for teachers who are returning for the next academic year as this is paid upon your arrival back in the country. They are paid for the month of July with their June salary.
so school teachers in Dubai get 2 annual paid leaves? What I mean is do they get one paid leave during the school summer vacation and the other when it's time for their usual vacation?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
so school teachers in Dubai get 2 annual paid leaves? What I mean is do they get one paid leave during the school summer vacation and the other when it's time for their usual vacation?
teachers take leave only during the school vacations. (summer and winter, and during Eid etc)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Their 'usual' vacation is when the school holidays occur, give or take a few training days when the students are still on holidays.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When you work at a School, in any country in the world, you are expected and required to take your annual leave in the school Holidays.

If your question is, do I get 20-30 working days annual leave, + all the school holidays, then no you do not.

You get no Annual leave that you can decide your self, what you do get is around 60 days of holiday in a year! so be grateful! lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please let people know what school you've been offered a job at ... so any parents can withdraw their children.
your comment was really unnecessary and childish. Firstly I am not a teacher. I was just curious to know how a teacher's profession gets a 60 day annual leave whereas other professions only get 30 days. I know somebody who is a teacher and this person finishes his duty by 1pm (even during non Ramadan days) and reaches home by 2pm whereas I reach home by 8pm. This person is entitled to all the public holidays in a year but not me because I work in a private company not a public one. He earns an extra income by giving private tuitions which is almost equal to a month's salary. So that means he earns almost double his salary. Now since the summer vacations are going on I see this person lazing around in his room doing absolutely nothing. In spite of all these luxuries why are teachers in Dubai complaining of a low pay? Why can't they increase the pay of the private sector considering the increasing rents? We can't earn an extra income as we hardly get the time to do so?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
your comment was really unnecessary and childish. Firstly I am not a teacher. I was just curious to know how a teacher's profession gets a 60 day annual leave whereas other professions only get 30 days. I know somebody who is a teacher and this person finishes his duty by 1pm (even during non Ramadan days) and reaches home by 2pm whereas I reach home by 8pm. This person is entitled to all the public holidays in a year but not me because I work in a private company not a public one. He earns an extra income by giving private tuitions which is almost equal to a month's salary. So that means he earns almost double his salary. Now since the summer vacations are going on I see this person lazing around in his room doing absolutely nothing. In spite of all these luxuries why are teachers in Dubai complaining of a low pay? Why can't they increase the pay of the private sector considering the increasing rents? We can't earn an extra income as we hardly get the time to do so?
Hi,
If you really like a teacher's lifestyle - then simply go back to college and retrain to be a teacher!
Despite their short working day - good teachers (note the word good!) often work at home and stay back after school hours to do marking and lesson planning.
I would not do their job for any amount of salary - even good schools remind me too much of a zoo!
If you really want a short working day - why not train as a radio dj - their shows are typically only 2 hours long (but like good teachers - need to do research and prepare for each show!).
Cheers
Steve

·
Banned
913 Posts
You sound jelly. I am jelly to. 1/3 of the year on holiday, work till 2pm, no stress, live in Dubai, 2 day weekend, accommodation included

Why aren't we all teachers?

·
Banned
913 Posts
If you really want a short working day - why not train as a radio dj - their shows are typically only 2 hours long (but like good teachers - need to do research and prepare for each show!).
Cheers
Steve
That would be my dream job, i could talk and talk and talk. I'd be awesome as a radio host, well better than Kenny & Daisy show on Radio 2. (Kenny is good, Daisy is just a nodding Churchill. Yup Yup Yup Yup Yup Yup Yup Yup Yup)

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
You sound jelly. I am jelly to. 1/3 of the year on holiday, work till 2pm, no stress, live in Dubai, 2 day weekend, accommodation included

Why aren't we all teachers?
No stress!
Are you kidding - my sons teachers quake in their shoes when my wife quizzes them about his education! - she is a typical pushy mum!
Cheers
Steve

·
Banned
913 Posts
That would be my dream job, i could talk and talk and talk. I'd be awesome as a radio host, well better than Kenny & Daisy show on Radio 2. (Kenny is good, Daisy is just a nodding Churchill. Yup Yup Yup Yup Yup Yup Yup Yup Yup)
The Iggles and Rascal Breakfast Show.

In the morning we will have the English Breakfast, 3 songs that are related to each other.

For example, one Nirvanna Song, One Foo Fighter Song, No Queens of the Stone Age song (Dave Grohl is the link)

Then we will talk about the gossip, football transfers, whats happening in UAE. Have our loyal listeners ring us to have a good moan about driving and traffic updates.

Then just some classic rock songs, linked with humorous but edgy banter that pushes the boundaries of UAE laws yet not breaking any. We would be loved and adored by millions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,
If you really like a teacher's lifestyle - then simply go back to college and retrain to be a teacher!
Despite their short working day - good teachers (note the word good!) often work at home and stay back after school hours to do marking and lesson planning.
I would not do their job for any amount of salary - even good schools remind me too much of a zoo!
Cheers
Steve
are you saying other professionals don't have to work extra hours? So a school reminds you of a zoo? Looks like you never had to deal with bad managers at your place of work. My manager treats us like donkeys throughout the day. He even cuts short our vacation days. I would prefer to work in a "zoo" with kids all day than deal with the stress of having to deal with "adults" at work.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts