Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My partner and I were ready to submit our application for Unmarried Partner visa when we read a forum that has made us think we might no longer qualify. I'm hoping someone would be able to clarify?

We co-habited for more than 2 years when I was on my Tier 4 Visa and have lots of documents to prove it. My graduation ceremony was on 12th July 2017 and shortly after, on 16 July 2017, I left the UK to visit my family. I came back on 28th August 2017 where I was promptly stopped by the Immigration Officer who questioned me about why I was returning when my Tier 4 visa has expired. She became even more hostile when I mentioned my intention of converting my Tier 4 into Unmarried Partner visa. However, on my Tier 4 visa sticker, it states that it is valid till 30th Nov 2017 so I was under the impression it was okay. The Officer claimed that once I've attended my graduation ceremony, the Tier 4 visa automatically becomes invalid. Ultimately, she let me in on a tourist visa and I left on 1st Nov 2017.

It's now April 2018. My partner and I have been apart for more than 6 months and I'm aware that in order to qualify for an Unmarried Partner visa, you have to be living together for a consecutive 24 months prior to application. Does the time spent together on tourist visa count? Or do we no longer qualify for an Unmarried Partner visa? If so, is there any way we can justify this gap to the ECO?

If it's any relevance, my partner is currently living and working in the UK and he started his new job in Dec 2017.

Sorry that this was a long read. We're applying through cash savings and the money just reached the 6th month in March. We thought we could finally begin our application but now realised that we might not even qualify for it anymore. Can anyone help with this please?

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Technically you don't qualify as unmarried partners since you're expected to be domestic partners at the time of application. As nyclon, says, this means not just visiting one another. It's up to you if you still want to apply for it, but since you are not currently living together AND you have been apart more than 6 months, they would have ample reason to refuse you and you would lose the entire application fee. It is safer to get married.

Reactions: gniloh
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.