Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I am an engineer and currently on a TR in Australia, I have been working in retail but the boss pays me by cash. My question is with the absence of pay slips or tax return or something, is it wise to put this experience on EOI and form 80? I know I can mark it as irrelevant on EOI but my concern is if the CO checks my tax history in Australia, will it bring trouble to me?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Guys,

I am an engineer and currently on a TR in Australia, I have been working in retail but the boss pays me by cash. My question is with the absence of pay slips or tax return or something, is it wise to put this experience on EOI and form 80? I know I can mark it as irrelevant on EOI but my concern is if the CO checks my tax history in Australia, will it bring trouble to me?
Form 80 is meant to record events of your life. If you have mentioned in EOI, then there shouldn't be any issue to mention that in Form 80.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Form 80 is meant to record events of your life. If you have mentioned in EOI, then there shouldn't be any issue to mention that in Form 80.
I am not sure if CO will check my tax history and find out I work illegally if I put it on EOI though. But if I leave this period blank I will need to explain it on form 80, which is annoying...

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I am not sure if CO will check my tax history and find out I work illegally if I put it on EOI though. But if I leave this period blank I will need to explain it on form 80, which is annoying...
Putting a gap is not an escape either. CO "MAY" ask you to explain that as well if he spots that gap

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You understand the intent of Form 80, and what is requested. Your question is, then, "should I lie?" No-one here is going to encourage you to do so. You owe money to the Australian government, this may well cause problems. I think you need to go to someone who can advise you properly: a licensed professional.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Annoying or not, you should have declared your cash income to ATO and paid tax on it. Doing so would have given you enough evidence to mention this experience in your EOI and your VISA application. I would advise you to still amend your tax returns, or at-least get a professional's advice.

Having said so, if you are not claiming points for this experience, its unlikely the CO will ask for any Tax documents. Just mark it irrelevant in your EOI. You can proactively submit a reference letter from your retail Supervisor along with your VISA application. If you can show your weekly wages less than the tax limit; it may invite less scrutiny from the CO.

And as mentioned by Sharma, if you can mention it in your EOI, you can mention it in form 80; it should not put you in any trouble in my opinion. Not mentioning this experience in form 80, however, can be viewed as providing false information; which I would advise you avoid at any cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts