Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
i have heard that if you want to leave the usa you have to pay some fee
and if so what papers would one need,cause i just want to go back and live in australia and be with my family also is it true that if you do decide to come back to america do you also need to pay

·
Registered
619 Posts
hi all
and if so what papers would one need,cause i just want to go back and live in australia and be with my family also is it true that if you do decide to come back to america do you also need to pay
you shouldn't need to pay for anything, except your flight :) However, if you are now a US citizen, i believe you are required to file a US tax return for the rest of your life There are tax treaties between the US and AU that prevent you from paying double taxes though, so don't worry.

Read the bottom section of this faq, if you are a green card holder:

US Taxation - FAQ's for Australian Expatriates | Exfin - The Australian Expatriate's Gateway

thats my understanding of everything, as a US citizen also heading to australia in the next year.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
No fee to leave the US, just the flight and visa (if required) for the country you are going to.

hi all

1 - 3 of 3 Posts