Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Myself and my girlfriend are interested in emigrating to Australia. We are both 25 and have had a year in Australia on a working holiday visa.

Since we have returned we have decided it is something we would like to do permanently but are confused about our options. Neither of us have any particular skills that seem to give us many points. I am a qualified personal trainer and have a degree in Economics and my girlfriend has a degree in media studies and is currently training to be a portrait photographer.

I am considering starting a career as a fireman and have been looking to establish whether I could train in Australia or if once I am qualified in the UK wether this will help us gain entry into oz.

Would anyone be able to tell me what are options are with theses skills or is it a case of only being able to apply if you match certain criteria.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Harry,

Australia does tend to look for certain skills, and the skills list changes from time to time (and will be changing again soon).

Have you tried contacting an agent and having a chat with them? They will usually tell you whether you stand a chance of getting in. First consultations are free with some agents. There are some agents on the forum such as SOMV and Alan Collett, who can be contacted through the link in their signature.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

To apply to become a firefighter you either have to have Permanent Residence or be a Citizen so you wouldn't be able to come over here and apply without a valid PR visa first.

1. Minimum Entry Requirements - Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board

If you qualify as a firefighter in the UK will will have to have 4 years experience before you can apply here. Look at the Australian firefighter exchange programme:

Australiasian Firefighter Exchange Fellowship - Metropolitan Fire and Emergency Services Board

So, you've checked on the SOL that both your jobs are not on it?

Dolly

PS just done a bit more research and from what I've found out 'transferring' as a firefighter to Australia is basically not possible. It looks like you would have to start as a recruit here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the help. We dont seem to have skills on the list but I will check once it has changed. I think i will look into having a consultation with someone. Are there any companies that are highly recommended or ones to avoid that we should know about?

Harry

Hi Harry,

Australia does tend to look for certain skills, and the skills list changes from time to time (and will be changing again soon).

Have you tried contacting an agent and having a chat with them? They will usually tell you whether you stand a chance of getting in. First consultations are free with some agents. There are some agents on the forum such as SOMV and Alan Collett, who can be contacted through the link in their signature.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Harry,

Do a forum search as agents have been discussed many times.

Dolly

PS with any agent you use, always make sure they are MIA/MARA registered

1 - 5 of 5 Posts