Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be entering the UK on a 12 month charity visa, will I need to have proof (a return ticket) that I'm not planning on squatting?

I'm actually planning on getting married while there to my British fiance so I will eventually be switching to a spouse visa.

Any one know about the ticket? Can I book a ticket to the UK and then find the cheapest flight out of the UK and cancel it once I'm in country?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a place I can read that officially? I trust you but my fiance needs to see it as officially as possible to ease concerns I'd be turned away at the boarder.

·
Registered
39,178 Posts
For a short stay (such as visit up to 6 months), you are expected to have return ticket when you travel to UK. But for anything longer (and your visa is for a year), you only need a one-way ticket. First they understand you can't commit yourself to a particular flight nearly a year ahead, and cheaper tickets only allow a stay of 3-6 months, so forcing you to buy very expensive ticket. I don't think this is written into the rules, but this is what actually happens. You will NOT be asked to show return ticket when you arrive at UK border.
If you or your fiancé is paranoid, I suppose you can buy fully-flexible ticket for $3,000, and just get refund on return portion once safely through UK border, but you don't need to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.