Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am a new Australian Citizen and would be travelling to India on my existing Indian Passport. One of my friends told me that as i have received Australian Citizenship i would need an Australian Passport to travel .

Is this the case ? Do i need an Australian Passport and Indian Visa to travel ? or can i just travel on my existing Indian passport ? Please advise.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No man, use your Indian passport, coz you still have Indian citizenship.

Call the Indian embassy to make sure:
Tel No : (612) 9223 9500

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Namz:

Legally you have lost your Indian Citizenship as India does not allow dual nationality. If you call the Indian Embassy they will ask for the India PP back. From this point forward you would need an Indian Visa to go to India OR an India OCI OR India PIO card (you are eligible for an OCI card and future children would be eligible for PIO cards).

Please see these links about the loss of Indian Citizenship and the India PIO card.
Indian Nationality Law

Intro to OCI

and

Overseas Citizen of India

While the Intro to OCI link does mention dual nationality it is not the full rights of India Nationality when you have an OCI card. True dual nationality (or plural nationality when you have > 2 nationalities) would allow full rights (including voting in elections).

Hi All,

I am a new Australian Citizen and would be travelling to India on my existing Indian Passport. One of my friends told me that as i have received Australian Citizenship i would need an Australian Passport to travel .

Is this the case ? Do i need an Australian Passport and Indian Visa to travel ? or can i just travel on my existing Indian passport ? Please advise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts