Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and read a lot about Assessment by EA.

I'm a Civil Engineer with Bachelors Degree that I completed last 2010. My experience is all related to design of land development and roads/highways which I think can be classified as Professional Engineer. But now (from April 30 2016 - present), I am working as "2D & 3D Draftsman" with the following duties and responsibilities:

- Reviews as-built drawings of road works and utilities in accordance to Qatar’s Public Works Authority (Ashghal) CAD Standards Manual and ensure that the information from the approved shop drawings are followed.
- Creates base standard and template for Civil 3D as-built model that follows the checklist stated from the Civil 3D Model Submission Guideline.
- Prepares Civil 3D Model of the road network and utilities based on the approved 2D as-built drawings and as-built survey drawings as part of the handing over requirement of the project to Ashghal and other project stakeholders.
- Ensure all drawings (2D and 3D files) submitted to the project’s consultant are in accordance to Company Standards and Ashghal’s Expressway Programme Guideline.
- Coordinate to concerned individuals, from sub-contractors to consultant, if problems arises and recommends possible solutions when required.
- Attend meetings regarding Civil 3D model and as-built drawing submissions.
Assist in the progress report monitoring and as-built drawing submissions.

I am planning to apply for a Professional Engineer and obviously will not include the above experience in any of my career episode. My questions are:
1. Is there a chance to approved as PE even if I am currently working as mentioned above?
2. Is the above work affect my total experience as Civil Engineer when I ask for the assessment of my relevant experience? Currently my work experience is 4 years and 11 months (up to April 28 2016) in Design not including the above mentioned.
3. Is there a possibility that I will assess as Engineering Tech or Engineering Assoc because of the above experience?

Please enlighten me about this matter. Thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and read a lot about Assessment by EA.

I'm a Civil Engineer with Bachelors Degree that I completed last 2010. My experience is all related to design of land development and roads/highways which I think can be classified as Professional Engineer. But now (from April 30 2016 - present), I am working as "2D & 3D Draftsman" with the following duties and responsibilities:

- Reviews as-built drawings of road works and utilities in accordance to Qatar’s Public Works Authority (Ashghal) CAD Standards Manual and ensure that the information from the approved shop drawings are followed.
- Creates base standard and template for Civil 3D as-built model that follows the checklist stated from the Civil 3D Model Submission Guideline.
- Prepares Civil 3D Model of the road network and utilities based on the approved 2D as-built drawings and as-built survey drawings as part of the handing over requirement of the project to Ashghal and other project stakeholders.
- Ensure all drawings (2D and 3D files) submitted to the project’s consultant are in accordance to Company Standards and Ashghal’s Expressway Programme Guideline.
- Coordinate to concerned individuals, from sub-contractors to consultant, if problems arises and recommends possible solutions when required.
- Attend meetings regarding Civil 3D model and as-built drawing submissions.
Assist in the progress report monitoring and as-built drawing submissions.

I am planning to apply for a Professional Engineer and obviously will not include the above experience in any of my career episode. My questions are:
1. Is there a chance to approved as PE even if I am currently working as mentioned above?
2. Is the above work affect my total experience as Civil Engineer when I ask for the assessment of my relevant experience? Currently my work experience is 4 years and 11 months (up to April 28 2016) in Design not including the above mentioned.
3. Is there a possibility that I will assess as Engineering Tech or Engineering Assoc because of the above experience?

Please enlighten me about this matter. Thanks in advance for your replies.
The decision whether you qualify as Professional Engineer or Engineering Tech depends on your CDR not on your work exp or what you have done. EA assessment is different from ACS as EA doesn't require work exp for assessment.

You won't get Engineering Associate since you have degree.

This will help : http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...neer-australia-processing-time-frame-646.html

·
Registered
51 Posts
The decision whether you qualify as Professional Engineer or Engineering Tech depends on your CDR not on your work exp or what you have done. EA assessment is different from ACS as EA doesn't require work exp for assessment.

You won't get Engineering Associate since you have degree.

This will help : http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...neer-australia-processing-time-frame-646.html
Hello, I'm jumping in this discussion.

My question is, if over a 10-year career, I have done mainly technical works, except for 2 projects, one at 5 years, one in the last year, that qualify as PE, and in my Career Episodes I go:
- CE1 : technical project
- CE2 : PE project at 5 years, 1 year duration
- CE3 : PE project at 9 years, 1 year duration

And I am applying for CDR + skilled employment, will I:
- have a chance to be deemed as PE?
- if I do, what relevant experience will they decide, 1+1 years (for PE projects) or my whole 10-year career?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts

My question is, if over a 10-year career, I have done mainly technical works, except for 2 projects, one at 5 years, one in the last year, that qualify as PE, and in my Career Episodes I go:

- if I do, what relevant experience will they decide, 1+1 years (for PE projects) or my whole 10-year career?

Thank you.
To be honest if one just has a degree and write a good enough CDR, he or she can get PE. Whereas you can have 10 yrs + exp but you didn't cover all the requirements in a CDR and you are usually given ET. I have seen loads of them.

For better CDR questions, ask here : http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...engineer-australia-processing-time-frame.html

This one for CDR tips and issues: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...-episode-my-professional-advice-everyone.html

Reactions: Sevy

·
Registered
51 Posts
To be honest if one just has a degree and write a good enough CDR, he or she can get PE. Whereas you can have 10 yrs + exp but you didn't cover all the requirements in a CDR and you are usually given ET. I have seen loads of them.

For better CDR questions, ask here : http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...engineer-australia-processing-time-frame.html

This one for CDR tips and issues: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...-episode-my-professional-advice-everyone.html
Thank you zaback21. Just double-checking though, in theory would I get PE for all 10 yrs, or only 2?

Those 2 threads are immensely helpful. One of them does have 100s of pages though :)

·
Registered
392 Posts

Thank you.

Degree is enough to get positive results

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for the insights.

With my No. 2 question, I need to claim also 5+ years to have enough points. But based on the description of my duties now, this may not assess as Civil Engineer.

·
Registered
392 Posts

Thank you.
Yes assess your skills+Experience .The only issues is the years of experience that EA will accept.This will also depend on the supporting documents that you have.Otherwise you will get positive if you prepare good CDR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts