Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Asawa's sister has found an American boyfriend and they seem to be getting somewhat serious, Serious enough that the boyfriend has asked me to find out what I can about getting her divorced. Can someone point me in the right direction to obtain some info for them? Approx 30 years ago she was Raped, then she was so ashamed about it that she married him to cover herself as they have a son out of it. They still live under the same roof, but thats about itexcept for the constant bickering at each other. He is a lazy scoundrel & womanizer and has given her VD a couple times through the years so she has been treated & cured. She says they have not had sex for at least 5 years now. She says she does not want an annulment, but a divorce, and her Kano agrees. She can't really afford a Lawyer(the reason she still stays in that house which is actually owned by his sister who is in the states and pays for it including the maintenance, utilities & upkeep) so I assume the Kano will foot the bill if need be. I am seeking any info as I have heard something about divorce now being attainable but I don't know where to look. Any help?

Fred

·
Registered
595 Posts
Still no divorce in the Philippines as far as I know. If he is American he can go to Guam and file for a divorce. Think he needs 7 days residency.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
No divorce in the Philippines, an annulment is the only way forward. If the husband is such a waister it's going to be expensive.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey Fred,

I had a friend that got an annulment in Manila about 5 years ago. It took 1 1/2 years for the annulment to be approved. The guy filed for the annulment and he had to put in the paperwork how she was an unfit wife since she had committed adultery and etc even though she didn't do it. That was the only way to get an annulment approved in the Philippines. It is not easy to get divorced there legally.

good luck

art

·
Registered
734 Posts
Still no divorce in the Philippines as far as I know. If he is American he can go to Guam and file for a divorce. Think he needs 7 days residency.

Chuck
Hey Chuck,

If the party lives in the Philippines I don't think they recognize the divorce from another country. The only way is get an annulment in the Philippines and that is hard to get. Both parties have to agree one of them committed adultery or etc. I had a friend that went through it.

art

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hey Chuck,

If the party lives in the Philippines I don't think they recognize the divorce from another country. The only way is get an annulment in the Philippines and that is hard to get. Both parties have to agree one of them committed adultery or etc. I had a friend that went through it.

art
The Filipino can not initiate a divorce in another country and have it recognized here a foreigner can.

https://lawyerphilippines.org/2017/04/11/recognition-of-foreign-divorce-in-the-philippines-process/

Chuck

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey Chuck

I had a friend 10 years ago get involved with a girl in Manila where her husband went to the USA and stayed. He finally got a divorce in California and remarried there. My friend couldn't get a fiancee visa for her to come to the states because she was still married under Filipino law. Her Ex agreed to come to the philippines and he filed for an annulment from her. It took over a year and finally it was approved. Then she was able to be approved for a fiancee visa in Manila to travel to the USA. I wonder if the laws have changed since then in the Philippines?

Art

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hey Chuck

I had a friend 10 years ago get involved with a girl in Manila where her husband went to the USA and stayed. He finally got a divorce in California and remarried there. My friend couldn't get a fiancee visa for her to come to the states because she was still married under Filipino law. Her Ex agreed to come to the philippines and he filed for an annulment from her. It took over a year and finally it was approved. Then she was able to be approved for a fiancee visa in Manila to travel to the USA. I wonder if the laws have changed since then in the Philippines?

Art
My previous post explained the procedure, she would have to go to court here to have it recognized, but would probably be less cost and time than annulment. The Family Code was enacted into law in 1987.

Divorce between Filipino citizens recognized in the Philippines - The Manila Times Online

Chuck

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think she had better start thinking about trying to get an annulment. I'll talk to them about it.

Fred

·
Registered
656 Posts
If she has been given a couple of doses of clap by the husband that is probably reason enough for an annulment.
Not sure how that would be a reason, abuse, abandonment, and adultery are not valid reasons for an annulment. It is crazy... but their archaic laws here are a bit daft. The clap would show the possibility of adultery, but you would probably have to prove it came from him and not her. Even then I don't know what the grounds would be.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If she has been given a couple of doses of clap by the husband that is probably reason enough for an annulment.
That is my thought too. I will have to talk to her about it as I don't know if she has told her new man about it. I am trying to stay as neutral as possible but yet trying to get them info. Back in the days when I was a young go getter, I became very close friends with Penicillin to take care of numerous cases of clap that I contacted through some of my not so nice ladyfriends, so to me it is not a big deal but it may be to someone else.

Fred

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure how that would be a reason, abuse, abandonment, and adultery are not valid reasons for an annulment. It is crazy... but their archaic laws here are a bit daft. The clap would show the possibility of adultery, but you would probably have to prove it came from him and not her. Even then I don't know what the grounds would be.
Tim, We were replying at the same time. You may be right, I have to speak to her about it to see if she wants to try to go with it. As I mentioned, I don't even know if she has told her new beau about it and don't want to upset the applecart. Kind of a queasy situation.

Fred

·
Registered
595 Posts
Fred, It may be hard with the STD. Would a Filipina want that know? Misread your earlier post thought the current spouse was Kano, my mistake. Adultery might fly, since the laws seem less stringent on males than females if they are local nationals.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Read info.legalzoom.com and sexually transmitted disease can be a reason for an annulment. Can't link from my tablet will do later when I get the laptop out.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Read info.legalzoom.com and sexually transmitted disease can be a reason for an annulment. Can't link from my tablet will do later when I get the laptop out.
Gary, Did you find that link? I went to the website but can't really see where it may help. I may just not have found it as I am nearly computer illiterate. Any help would be appreciated.

Fred

·
Registered
570 Posts
My Asawa's sister has found an American boyfriend and they seem to be getting somewhat serious, Serious enough that the boyfriend has asked me to find out what I can about getting her divorced. Can someone point me in the right direction to obtain some info for them? Any help?
Fred
Show the below article to your Asawa's Sister and her American boyfriend. If her Philippine husband files a case, they both go to prison, she risks losing all rights to any property they obtained during the marriage, etc. etc.

Advise the American that he is "foolishly" breaking Philippine Law and to immediately terminate the relationship and find an "unmarried" Filipina (millions available).

Imagine the Philippine Husband's rage if the annulment is filed. He'll find out about The boyfriend, likely counter sue and file a valid case for Adultery. Everyone involved will likely face some type of repercussion.

British man facing seven years in Filipino jail for adultery goes into hiding | Daily Mail Online

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Show the below article to your Asawa's Sister and her American boyfriend. If her Philippine husband files a case, they both go to prison, she risks losing all rights to any property they obtained during the marriage, etc. etc.

Advise the American that he is "foolishly" breaking Philippine Law and to immediately terminate the relationship and find an "unmarried" Filipina (millions available).

Imagine the Philippine Husband's rage if the annulment is filed. He'll find out about The boyfriend, likely counter sue and file a valid case for Adultery. Everyone involved will likely face some type of repercussion.

British man facing seven years in Filipino jail for adultery goes into hiding | Daily Mail Online
They are both well aware of all this, is why they are trying to do it the legal way. The present Asawa has already agreed for her to do this as long as it doesn't cost him anything.

As I mentioned in the original post, he is a worthless SOB and they have acquired nothing of value since they have been married(they live in a house owned by his sister). Even to this day, he begs money off her meager salary and she gives it to him as she has sympathy for him and can't stand his whining like a hurt puppy. He could care less about her and will go along with most thoughts as long as he feels he is not being hurt. He is a despicable excuse for a man.

Fred

1 - 20 of 36 Posts