Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am getting divorced with my husband of 6 months (he is a french national). I left his house within a month after bearing a lot of mental torture and am currently in India. I left france without taking any of my personal belongings, gold, jewellery, clothes etc, and only got a bag pack with my documents to India.

Now my question is can the indian embassy in paris help me getting all my stuff back home? (including all jewellery, liquid, etc) If yes then how do i go about it?

I even considered going to paris and getting my stuff back home, but in my earlier post I got to know that I can only enter france once with my long stay family visa without the OFII stamp on it.

They (inlaws and husband) are extremely stingy people and they are telling me it is not possible for them to send my luggage, hence posting this query here.
Any help would be much much appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi all,

I am getting divorced with my husband of 6 months (he is a french national). I left his house within a month after bearing a lot of mental torture and am currently in India. I left france without taking any of my personal belongings, gold, jewellery, clothes etc, and only got a bag pack with my documents to India.

Now my question is can the indian embassy in paris help me getting all my stuff back home? (including all jewellery, liquid, etc) If yes then how do i go about it?

I even considered going to paris and getting my stuff back home, but in my earlier post I got to know that I can only enter france once with my long stay family visa without the OFII stamp on it.

They (inlaws and husband) are extremely stingy people and they are telling me it is not possible for them to send my luggage, hence posting this query here.
Any help would be much much appreciated!

Thank you!
Hi,

You can go back to your earlier post and read my edit. It seems you can travel after all, as long as your original visa is still valid.

Sorry for the wrong information though; They have changed the rules and it is often difficult to keep in touch with the latest.

·
Administrator
50,434 Posts
It may come down to a question of where were you married, and what have you done so far regarding the divorce?

If you were married in France, it could depend on your marital regime (i.e. whether you had a contract or were married under the default regime). Part of the divorce proceedings involve the settlement of property - and in that case, those belongings you brought with you when you started the marriage should still be considered yours. (You may have to have a listing of some sort to assert your rights.)

If you were married in India, you would need to see what the property laws related to marriage are, and then contact the Indian Consulate in France to see what they may be able to do to help you.

Have either of you filed papers on the other yet? There may be some part of that process (either filing divorce papers, or filing for a formal separation) that will help you get your belongings back.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can go back to your earlier post and read my edit. It seems you can travel after all, as long as your original visa is still valid.

Sorry for the wrong information though; They have changed the rules and it is often difficult to keep in touch with the latest.

Thanks a lot! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may come down to a question of where were you married, and what have you done so far regarding the divorce?

If you were married in France, it could depend on your marital regime (i.e. whether you had a contract or were married under the default regime). Part of the divorce proceedings involve the settlement of property - and in that case, those belongings you brought with you when you started the marriage should still be considered yours. (You may have to have a listing of some sort to assert your rights.)

If you were married in India, you would need to see what the property laws related to marriage are, and then contact the Indian Consulate in France to see what they may be able to do to help you.

Have either of you filed papers on the other yet? There may be some part of that process (either filing divorce papers, or filing for a formal separation) that will help you get your belongings back.
Cheers,
Bev
We were married in India, and I am yet to file for divorce here. I wanted to know if it were possible to arrange for getting my belongings back before all the paperwork, as paperwork generally takes a long time.

Thank you for your help Bev!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I don't know about the Indian Consulate, but in general a Consulate would not assist in matters like this at all. The main function of consular assistance is for emergencies. People getting mugged and losing their papers, or going to gaol, or getting stranded with no money, and so on. They do not provide free legal assistance, and it sounds as if legal assistance is what you need.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I don't know about the Indian Consulate, but in general a Consulate would not assist in matters like this at all. The main function of consular assistance is for emergencies. People getting mugged and losing their papers, or going to gaol, or getting stranded with no money, and so on. They do not provide free legal assistance, and it sounds as if legal assistance is what you need.
Actually, the Indian Embassy does provide legal and financial assistance to Indian women who have been 'deserted' by their foreign spouses.

http://www.ambinde.fr/images/PDF/in...o Indian women deserted by foreign spouse.pdf

But in this case, I doubt Indiana will be eligible for it as she is already back in in India, and not trapped in a foreign country. Also she is separated from her husband and has not been deserted by him.

·
Administrator
50,434 Posts
We were married in India, and I am yet to file for divorce here. I wanted to know if it were possible to arrange for getting my belongings back before all the paperwork, as paperwork generally takes a long time.

Thank you for your help Bev!
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but I kind of doubt there is any way you can compel your husband and inlaws to ship you back your stuff. OTOH, if it is clearly your stuff and has something other than nominal value, you may be able to find someone in France who you can charge with collecting it for you and shipping it to you in India.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, the Indian Embassy does provide legal and financial assistance to Indian women who have been 'deserted' by their foreign spouses.

http://www.ambinde.fr/images/PDF/in...o Indian women deserted by foreign spouse.pdf

But in this case, I doubt Indiana will be eligible for it as she is already back in in India, and not trapped in a foreign country. Also she is separated from her husband and has not been deserted by him.
Yes thats true I'm back in India so have to find another way out. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but I kind of doubt there is any way you can compel your husband and inlaws to ship you back your stuff. OTOH, if it is clearly your stuff and has something other than nominal value, you may be able to find someone in France who you can charge with collecting it for you and shipping it to you in India.
Cheers,
Bev
Yes Bev, I think filing for divorce here and talking to the lawyers about finding another way out should help.

Thank you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts