Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can advise.

We bought a plot in Normandy and built a house, in total there are four houses on the plot (the other three owned by local French). At the time we purchased we were aware of a large building on the next plot which was used for "typical" French countryside car mechanic's shop - slow, quiet, friendly.

A few weeks back we became aware the use of this building had changed, it is now a blacksmith on a fairly industrial scale - the noise during the working week is horrendous and very much disturbs the peace we felt we bought into, and the dust / ash it spits out leaves several millimetres each day of thick black dust on our cars and windowsills.

Not sure what we do now:

- Is this allowed but our "search" when we purchased failed to pick it up?

- Are they doing it illegally because it's small time bureaucratic misdemeanour and no-one cares here if it's only going to offend a couple of brits?

- How do I establish the rights of use of the land and either (a) if they are not allowed, get them enforced, or (b) if they somehow ARE allowed then make my case this is ruining our life and the value of our property?

- Any idea how I find out what the "light industrial" rules would be relating to noise and air pollution?

- Is there any "summary justice" available to me, so I can stop it pending an outcome rather than living with it pending an outcome?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
49,870 Posts
You're probably going to find that French law works very much differently than English law on these sorts of matters. The mairie is your main point of reference for determining whether or not this new use is in accordance with local regulations.

What you probably should do first is to contact your French neighbors to see if they are similarly bothered by the blacksmith business activity and to see if any of them are considering making an inquiry or complaint at the mairie. (These things are always more effective if initiated by a French person.)

If the four houses on the same plot are part of a syndic/co-propriete you could try to see if the syndic would consider approaching the business to see if there is anything that could be done to ameliorate the noise and dust on amicable terms before turning to the mairie.

What you may find, however, is that the neighbors have their own "non-conforming" uses and structures on their own properties so that they don't want to get into it with the business for fear that their violations will be exposed.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
A cautionary tale:

My neighbour complained about the noise from a woodyard/scierie next to both our properties. To that date it ran 8-12, 2-5/6 Mon - Fri, + Sat morning.

It went to tribunal. Judge ruled permitted usage of scierie was:
7am-9pm uninterrupted Mon-Sat incl. + Sun morning.

Neighbour shot self in foot !!!!
Scierie doesn't bother us, so no prob, and am rather glad neighbour proved what an arse he is !

Your own situation: check with the Mairie first, just as Bev advises. If a dispute continues, there should be a Conciliateur associated with the Mairie who should be able to act as impartial arbiter to try to resolve the issue. Failing that conciliation, a Tribunal is the only remaining recourse.

Courage!
H

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.