Time to break out the backyard tuba still. Every house in the province seemed to have one 35 years ago lol.
Don't do it.... that's my response, it's just a proven dangerous drink, most here now drink Emperador Light, I can't do brandy or Lambanog both make me sick but I'll be drinking some Scotch later onTime to break out the backyard tuba still. Every house in the province seemed to have one 35 years ago lol.
I haven't done any distilling myself, but my understanding is that you can accidentally create methanol by not having the temperature high enough. And you're right, no matter what you do, you're going to end up with some methanol no matter what, as the temperature climbs it will produce some methanol before it eventually reaches the correct temperature to produce ethanol. I saw the still these guys were using, it didn't have a thermometer in it, so they were just spit balling the temperature throughout the process. Also, the entire thing was made out of galvanized so, that probably didn't help much as well.Having done a fair bit of home brewing and a lot of research into it before hand, making any significant amount of methanol in a home brew batch takes some work.
Simply toss the initial 50 ml of output and you will be OK. You will most likely produce less methanol than is allowed in commercial spirts but ethanol is the antidote for methional positioning.
Now if they used brass or galvanized fittings or pipe, then they could easily get zinc poisoning. Only use glass, copper or stainless steel in your still and you will be OK.