Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to break out the backyard tuba still. Every house in the province seemed to have one 35 years ago lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
Time to break out the backyard tuba still. Every house in the province seemed to have one 35 years ago lol.
Don't do it.... that's my response, it's just a proven dangerous drink, most here now drink Emperador Light, I can't do brandy or Lambanog both make me sick but I'll be drinking some Scotch later on

·
Registered
527 Posts
Having done a fair bit of home brewing and a lot of research into it before hand, making any significant amount of methanol in a home brew batch takes some work.

Simply toss the initial 50 ml of output and you will be OK. You will most likely produce less methanol than is allowed in commercial spirts but ethanol is the antidote for methional positioning.

Now if they used brass or galvanized fittings or pipe, then they could easily get zinc poisoning. Only use glass, copper or stainless steel in your still and you will be OK.
I haven't done any distilling myself, but my understanding is that you can accidentally create methanol by not having the temperature high enough. And you're right, no matter what you do, you're going to end up with some methanol no matter what, as the temperature climbs it will produce some methanol before it eventually reaches the correct temperature to produce ethanol. I saw the still these guys were using, it didn't have a thermometer in it, so they were just spit balling the temperature throughout the process. Also, the entire thing was made out of galvanized so, that probably didn't help much as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
There's lots of sites on distilling out there. The majority are legit.

When I was overseas, I had a steam distiller for distilling water that I used for my alcohol. I made a mash from sugar, water, and a vodka yeast that I picked up at a wine/beer supply shop. I would let it ferment for 10-14 days like I did for my beer when I made it. When I was ready to distill, I would fill it up with my "mash", plug it in, and turn it on. It would heat up automatically and start working.

Once it started coming out, I would throw the "heads" out to eliminate the methanol. That was roughly 6-8 ounces. Then I would save the "hearts" and "tails" for drinking. I ran it through charcoal from water filters, and put it in glass bottles.

Done correctly like I did it, no problems. If you aren't sure, don't do it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
No distilling required for tuba. Just hang the bottle on the coconut tree. A good tap will get about a quart a day.
Terrible drink, but it makes good vinegar. 😎

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man that stuff is horrible! I heard if aged more than a week its better though lol

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
most tuba i encountered in the visayas wasnt distilled,,it was made by aging and will naturally occur. My mil drank it and her mother. They mix with coke. I tasted it,taste like vinegar. We saw alot of natives eating huge fruit bats in leyte after yolanda,the coconuts would die on the tree and fermint. The fruit bats would land on them,drink it and pass out falling to ground. The pilipinos would hit them in the baseball sized heads killing them then cook them. They had about 4 ft wing spread. They offered it to me saying "steve u wanna eat"? I said NOOOOO. They said "taste like chicken".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts