Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be quite a few apartments available at the minute in this area, which appears to be convenient to where I will be working, Media Zone, and also for the Marina.

Anyone living there that can give honest opinions on what the area is like to live in?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
There seems to be quite a few apartments available at the minute in this area, which appears to be convenient to where I will be working, Media Zone, and also for the Marina.

Anyone living there that can give honest opinions on what the area is like to live in?
Jynxgirl lives there I believe. She might have "nice" things to say about the place :boxing: :D

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I am sure there has been reference to this development quite recently. Do a search & I am sure you'll find much of the info you want.

In short, it's OK, but generally chosen due to it being relatively cheap and is not a first choice place to live.

-

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure there has been reference to this development quite recently. Do a search & I am sure you'll find much of the info you want.

In short, it's OK, but generally chosen due to it being relatively cheap and is not a first choice place to live.

-
Cheers

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right scrap that then, no wonder they are cheap. And what is with the litter throwing?? Don't they have bins?
Very useful this forum!!

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Its cheap... :) AND just going to get cheaper.. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
its normal, prices are affordable, things which i don't about DG:
1) being far from the city center
2) the traffic during the rush hours
3) no retail shops near by, so if by mistake u forget/need something you have to drive all the way to Ibn battota

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Not so much... Don't ever expect a pool to be finished, EVER, in my opinion.

On a positive note - The guy who was looking at subletting an apartment might want to look at these apartment. I dont think there is any type of oversight of them once they get your money!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not so much... Don't ever expect a pool to be finished, EVER, in my opinion.

On a positive note - The guy who was looking at subletting an apartment might want to look at these apartment. I dont think there is any type of oversight of them once they get your money!
That was me too!

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Well, there you go... :)

If someone is coming from a lower income, these may not be so bad. They are just cheap apartments. Built cheap, maintained cheap, and have no extras. Its the little things though besides the leaking ceiling, ballast to lights continuously shorting out and blowing up, multiple people living in one bedroom apartments (like 3 or 4 guys are living in one apartment their 'company' put them in) etc.

I have no storage in my bathroom for anything. The a/c is electrical controller but even the nakheel worker doesnt know how to change it from being 16 C - it seems to be the cheapest you one that could ever have been bought. They told me to just turn it on and off when I want it cooler or to stop cooling. :rolleyes: The walls are pretty thin and the hallways is kept very cold. It is forever cold in my apartment. I would never think I would need a heater but it seems so. The counters in the kitchen and bathroom are super cheap and dont look polished or nice after just a little use. I havent figured out why they look quite worn ? I have one outlet in my kitchen. No outlets in my bathroom to use for anything electrical, except a man shaver thing that I assume that is all that will fit ?? So if you have an electric toothbrush or a kitty litter box, you have to run wires into the bathroom to use. There is one electrical outlet in the kitchen. Your have to have your microwave, use grills, blenders, etc, all in the small space in one area. No option but to run an electrical cord under the counter to add outlets on the other side. Hope I dont get into trouble for all the nail holes. Oh well. My bedroom does have two outlets in it, except one of them doesnt work. Nakheel worker doesnt know why it doesnt work and told me to use the other one...... Yep.

But its cheap! And if I had to pay for it, well, most of us are here to save money. I dont know if I would go this cheap but if you dont make as much as just want to save money, its not terrible. I know alot of people have it ALOT worse.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, there you go... :)

If someone is coming from a lower income, these may not be so bad. They are just cheap apartments. Built cheap, maintained cheap, and have no extras. Its the little things though besides the leaking ceiling, ballast to lights continuously shorting out and blowing up, multiple people living in one bedroom apartments (like 3 or 4 guys are living in one apartment their 'company' put them in) etc.

I have no storage in my bathroom for anything. The a/c is electrical controller but even the nakheel worker doesnt know how to change it from being 16 C - it seems to be the cheapest you one that could ever have been bought. They told me to just turn it on and off when I want it cooler or to stop cooling. :rolleyes: The walls are pretty thin and the hallways is kept very cold. It is forever cold in my apartment. I would never think I would need a heater but it seems so. The counters in the kitchen and bathroom are super cheap and dont look polished or nice after just a little use. I havent figured out why they look quite worn ? I have one outlet in my kitchen. No outlets in my bathroom to use for anything electrical, except a man shaver thing that I assume that is all that will fit ?? So if you have an electric toothbrush or a kitty litter box, you have to run wires into the bathroom to use. There is one electrical outlet in the kitchen. Your have to have your microwave, use grills, blenders, etc, all in the small space in one area. No option but to run an electrical cord under the counter to add outlets on the other side. Hope I dont get into trouble for all the nail holes. Oh well. My bedroom does have two outlets in it, except one of them doesnt work. Nakheel worker doesnt know why it doesnt work and told me to use the other one...... Yep.

But its cheap! And if I had to pay for it, well, most of us are here to save money. I dont know if I would go this cheap but if you dont make as much as just want to save money, its not terrible. I know alot of people have it ALOT worse.
Thank you.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Side note - I am not Walmart material :) I didnt pick this place. I got off the plane, they handed me the keys to a focus and brought me to this wonderful apartment.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Sure isnt my gti or dodge truck.. :(

I just have to keep in mind I have a house at home with a large yard and flower beds and garage and MOTORCYCLES :) This is temporary. So, if you can do that, I guess discovery garden isnt the worst thing ever. If your thinking long term, dont make this home. I would think without that thought of home I would have pulled my hair out.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sure isnt my gti or dodge truck.. :(

I just have to keep in mind I have a house at home with a large yard and flower beds and garage and MOTORCYCLES :) This is temporary. So, if you can do that, I guess discovery garden isnt the worst thing ever. If your thinking long term, dont make this home. I would think without that thought of home I would have pulled my hair out.
Fair point! You're up late isn't it about 3am in Dubai? What work do you do? Or you finally been out partying? :D

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I work nights, 6pm to 6am, Wed-Sat. Hour and a half drive, and then stuff to get thru... so makes for long 16 hr work days

It is 3 am.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I work nights, 6pm to 6am, Wed-Sat. Hour and a half drive, and then stuff to get thru... so makes for long 16 hr work days

It is 3 am.
You not wrong! Rather you than me :eek:you at work now then? Obviously busy :D

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.