Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so sorry for young couples who are separated because of the rules imposed by UKBA and can imagine how desperate they must be to be able to live together in the UK. My own situation is rather different. We are an older couple, myself a UKC and my husband a non EU spouse, who left the UK many years ago and are now considering returning. We visit every year as our children and grandchildren live there, as well as other family members. Also, most of our friends here are leaving and we have no family here at all.

We did return about fifteen years ago and my husband was granted ILR but it lapsed as he could not find work and returned here to work and to save enough for a possible return to the UK. So this seemed a good time to go back.

However, I am almost abandoning the idea before we even apply. We would satisfy the financial requirements and accommodation but our age is my concern...late sixties and mid seventies. I can envisage UKBA considering we would have medical problems at some point soon and would turn us down on that basis. I had tried to use a philosophical approach and say 'well, if we are refused, so be it, we will continue here as we have been doing' but then I realize that the refusal might well jeopardize my husband's existing five year visit visa which he just got this year. I can imagine the entry officer, suspecting we might be entering to stay, given we had been refused a spousal visa, would refuse entry for a holiday. How humiliating that would be, having to turn around and catch the next plane back here!

So, I am about to abandon the idea and it makes me sad. I miss my children and grandchildren so much. Sorry for the rant! I realize this is our fault for not returning earlier so not apportioning any blame. Just sad.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Hi there

I believe you are over thinking on this! If you meet the financial and housing requirements I don't see a problem. I have never heard of anyone being turned down just because they are in their senior years and may have health issues in the future. Good luck...

·
Registered
533 Posts
I too think you are over thinking it. Meeting the financial requirement is the hardest part. Since you guys meet that along with the other requirements I don't see how UKBA would turn you down. Even if you are refused then there's an appeal process. I really don't think you have any concerns. Just relax and apply.

In saying all of that, I think it scares everyone when applying. I remember crying my eyes out because I was worried but had nothing to worry over. Have you tried to contact a visa agency that can give you some guidance? They will guide you thru the whole process and make sure you have everything in your application along with evidence before sending to the New York office themselves. There are many visa agencies but the one I used is called Abriggs. They were fantastic. It cost me roughly $300 that was last summer not sure if they went up or down in price but they made sure my application and evidence was all there before delivering it. Have a look and give them a ring to chat.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Hey, don't be sad... There is always a way and as long as we're alive there are still chances... Could be small or big but still a chance... There is nothing wrong in trying please don't lose hope.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If you don't continue, you will never know

Like I tell myself and others, no place to give up as I will always wonder what could have been.

I totally get your thoughts though.

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
It would be considered age discrimination if they couldn't find any valid reason to deny you other than your age and possible health concerns. It would be different if your husband is visibly ill when arriving in UK, in which case they can demand a medical and can deny entry if he poses any risk to public health (e.g. serious contagious disease). You don't have to declare any health issues on the application form.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. I will certainly rethink. My husband is still considering the move but I want all my facts before me when we next discuss the issues. Maybe I am indeed overthinking this! I really appreciate all your advice.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you do decide to apply I wish you all the best and luck in the world. My husband and I are a 'young' couple who thanks to UKBA haven't seen each other for a YEAR and five months!

If I were you I wouldn't delay I'd get the ball rolling asap, spending time with family is precious - don't delay.

Good luck!

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you do decide to apply I wish you all the best and luck in the world. My husband and I are a 'young' couple who thanks to UKBA haven't seen each other for a YEAR and five months!

If I were you I wouldn't delay I'd get the ball rolling asap, spending time with family is precious - don't delay.

Good luck!
I Also want to thank UKBA for refusing my fiance's visa who I've been with for 7 years now and see him only once a year for few days. genuine people get's refused while terrorists gets it easy.

Regarding the topic : i do wish u all the best too and good luck in case you go ahead with applying.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pultet and Anxious_wife, I am so sorry you have to go through this separation. I do count my blessings that my husband and I are together. I hope your situations get sorted out soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.