Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Newly arrived in Barcelona and looking for grocery store chains or grocery stores known for deals or affordable prices. I am in the Eixample district if that matters.

I'm also looking for a place to buy cheap t-shirts (plain colors, black, blue, gray etc). Anyone living in Barcelona can help me out with that?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hello all,

Newly arrived in Barcelona and looking for grocery store chains or grocery stores known for deals or affordable prices. I am in the Eixample district if that matters.

I'm also looking for a place to buy cheap t-shirts (plain colors, black, blue, gray etc). Anyone living in Barcelona can help me out with that?

Thanks in advance,
Although Aldi and Lidl are the main cheaper supermarkets it pays to shop around as all supermarkets have good deals at different times. As far as clothes are concerned Primark is probably the best store for bargain priced clothes but again you need to shop around if you prefer higher quality clothes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I find Primark clothing to be pretty good quality overall, it is certainly excellent value for things like basic t-shirts.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
For things like cheapy T- shirts don't forget the local ****** shop - they may not last long but if you want cheap-to-buy, that is one of the factors to consider.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where are those type of shops? I think you meant Asian owned? Chinese owned? Is there a specific location/area of the city. I really only need them to last a couple of months.

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
The cheapest supermarket chain in Spain foodwise, according to a survey last week, is Alcampo.

The Chinese superstores are found all over Spain, they are run by Chinese families and sell cheap imported Chinese goods - clothes, toys, hardware etc - everything except food.

Find your local street market (mercadillo) and you will get the cheapest clothes of all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you personally don't find referring to the Chinese as "******" that is your opinion and one which you are fully entitled to.
I don't particularly care either way, but I am not enamoured of politically correct opinions being flaunted from a moral high horse.
I do appreciate your support for freedom of thought, however.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't particularly care either way, but I am not enamoured of politically correct opinions being flaunted from a moral high horse.
I do appreciate your support for freedom of thought, however.
That has nothing to do w/ political correctness. Do you go around calling black people "blackies"? Maybe you do. I don't know. But when we start unnecessarily start describing ethnic groups by common physical traits it seems problematic to me.

Anyway I don't think the OP who used the word actually meant anything by it. I can give Spaniards a pass because immigration is a new concept. But not people from England. You all should know better. My former roommate was English and his gf was Chinese-American. He would never dare say that word.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyway to get back to the thread. Thank you everyone! Political correctness or not. Primark Clothing is the best! Just went today. It's cheap, and a step up in quality from what I thought I would be getting. It's definitely better than swap meat quality (super cheap American shops, typically alleys or outside to shop). I will definitely be back.

·
Banned
99 Posts
Anyway to get back to the thread. Thank you everyone! Political correctness or not. Primark Clothing is the best! Just went today. It's cheap, and a step up in quality from what I thought I would be getting. It's definitely better than swap meat quality (super cheap American shops, typically alleys or outside to shop). I will definitely be back.
Always found them decent quality for a reasonable price

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think, correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the rule of thumb was that if a significant proportion of a minority consider terms derogatory then we do not use those terms. No?
Discussions suggest that derogatory words can hold people back in every part of their lives.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts