Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now Disabled.
I would like to know what, if any, benefits I can still get in Spain.
Could I have a live in carer ?

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
I am now Disabled.
I would like to know what, if any, benefits I can still get in Spain.
Could I have a live in carer ?
Hi,
I think the only way to have a live in carer is to pay for one yourself, which would be much cheaper than in the UK. I don't know if you would receive any benefit to help you with this from the UK. You need to look here
https://www.gov.uk/uk-benefits-abroad
and to get in touch with DWP.

There are many old or disabled people who have carers here, paid for out of their own pocket. They tend to be immigrants from countries like Ucrania, Romania, Ecuador, Colombia... Of course there are people from the UK too...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I did speak to a Spanish disabled lady in our village a while back , and was surprised how little help she got from the government here .

But best to check it out yourself !

Cheers Tony

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Under the Ley de Dependencia (2006) you are entitled to payment for a carer (maximum of around €700 per month depending on the level of disability). Apply via your social security office (INSS).

The payments were suspended for many cases during the economic crisis (even for people assessed as eligible) but most regions have promised to reinstate them in 2015.

http://www.plusesmas.com/cuidadorfa...economicas_de_la_ley_de_dependencia/1160.html

·
Registered
312 Posts
You can still claim DLA /PIP ESA in Spain and carers allowance as long as "strong ties to UK" bst check gov web site for full setails

·
Registered
881 Posts
Most thing depends on the grade of your disability (percentage), I am registered disabled in Spain as I have a slight hearing problem, hardly noticeable, and my disability is 38%, you will elligible for a 'disabled' card as long as your disability is over 33%. But other than a discount if you go to Port Aventura.... you really don't get anything else.. lol!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Under the Ley de Dependencia (2006) you are entitled to payment for a carer (maximum of around €700 per month depending on the level of disability). Apply via your social security office (INSS).

The payments were suspended for many cases during the economic crisis (even for people assessed as eligible) but most regions have promised to reinstate them in 2015.

Prestaciones económicas de la Ley de Dependencia
I don't know of anyone locally with a live-in carer, but several of my elderly neighbours have carers/home helps under the Ley de Dependencia, one is an elderly man who lives alone and has carers going in several times a day, others have help several mornings per week. They are uniformed carers employed by Emvipsa, our local "arm's length" private company which provides outsourced Council services.

I am pretty sure the OP would have to register as resident in Spain first, though, before requesting an assessment. I have read in the press many reports of applicants waiting many months, even years, just for the assessment and then further long waits before any help is provided.

If the OP doesn't speak fluent Spanish he would almost certainly need to pay for the services of an interpreter both to help with making the application and the assessment itself, as the staff who deal with them are unlikely to be English speaking - and nor would the carers be, if he were to be successful in his application for assistance.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
I don't know of anyone locally with a live-in carer, but several of my elderly neighbours have carers/home helps under the Ley de Dependencia, one is an elderly man who lives alone and has carers going in several times a day, others have help several mornings per week. They are uniformed carers employed by Emvipsa, our local "arm's length" private company which provides outsourced Council services.

I am pretty sure the OP would have to register as resident in Spain first, though, before requesting an assessment. I have read in the press many reports of applicants waiting many months, even years, just for the assessment and then further long waits before any help is provided.

If the OP doesn't speak fluent Spanish he would almost certainly need to pay for the services of an interpreter both to help with making the application and the assessment itself, as the staff who deal with them are unlikely to be English speaking - and nor would the carers be, if he were to be successful in his application for assistance.
Yes, the Ley de Dependencia has, as far as I know, never been really applied equally throughout Spain and unfortunately I think it would be difficult to depend on it and yes, that is a play on words!
I know that in Madrid there were periodic headlines about first of all how nothing happened once the law was passed, then about the slowness of the system to get assessed, and then about how long it took to actually see any money. Here at least it developed into a PSOE/ PP battle

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Most thing depends on the grade of your disability (percentage), I am registered disabled in Spain as I have a slight hearing problem, hardly noticeable, and my disability is 38%, you will elligible for a 'disabled' card as long as your disability is over 33%. But other than a discount if you go to Port Aventura.... you really don't get anything else.. lol!
Reduced price public transport and if you have children I believe you get treated as a familia numeroso so you get the same benefits as they do which can influence things such as places in schools or courses, reduced prices in muesuems and...

·
Registered
15,747 Posts
Yes, the Ley de Dependencia has, as far as I know, never been really applied equally throughout Spain and unfortunately I think it would be difficult to depend on it and yes, that is a play on words!
I know that in Madrid there were periodic headlines about first of all how nothing happened once the law was passed, then about the slowness of the system to get assessed, and then about how long it took to actually see any money. Here at least it developed into a PSOE/ PP battle
Well, it seems to be happening in Andalucia, the budget was €1.15 billion in 2014. But I do know people who were assessed as eligible and died before they actually got any money. Hopefully those days are past!

La Junta apuesta por mantener en 2015 el presupuesto en dependencia, a la que Andalucía destina tres millones diarios - 20minutos.es

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Well, it seems to be happening in Andalucia, the budget was €1.15 billion in 2014. But I do know people who were assessed as eligible and died before they actually got any money. Hopefully those days are past!

La Junta apuesta por mantener en 2015 el presupuesto en dependencia, a la que Andalucía destina tres millones diarios - 20minutos.es
Our Ayutamiento announced a few months ago that a number of new carers had been taken on and that this would eliminate the waiting list for this service in this town (whether that was true or not, I wouldn't like to say). Apparently 117 people had been on the waiting list, but how long they had been waiting, I don't know.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
That is interesting.. I have a considerable hearing problem but what they could do I don't know.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm surprised a slight hearing problem means someone can be registered disabled.
That means vast numbers of people are disabled, then!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Unfortunate choice of words if one has a dirty mind.( Which of course, I haven't)
or deliberate choice of words! One has to retain a sense of humour in this world if one is to get through it without going mad.

My loss of hearing started in 1944 when one of Hitler's V2 rockets fell short and went off about 150yds away. Then I worked at a Ministry of Supply weapons testing establishment, testing heavy guns (no ear defenders in those days). Then I was in the RAF working on jet aircraft... need I go on/

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
or deliberate choice of words! One has to retain a sense of humour in this world if one is to get through it without going mad.

My loss of hearing started in 1944 when one of Hitler's V2 rockets fell short and went off about 150yds away. Then I worked at a Ministry of Supply weapons testing establishment, testing heavy guns (no ear defenders in those days). Then I was in the RAF working on jet aircraft... need I go on/
Have you ever considered applying for a War Pension? The British Legion suggested it to my father after he became very deaf, he did army service with the Royal Artillery and they helped him apply successfully. The War Pensions are (or were) quite generous and also tax free in the UK - would probably have to be declared here.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts