Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have an issue with my landlord. I gave notice to my agency that I will move out of the property earlier and thought they would forward it to the landlord immediately. However, they delayed to forward my email with the notice so the landlord is not accepting the date I sent out the email. He is only accepting the date he actually got the email so that he does not have to pay any remaining rent (because the notice was forwarded by my agency late).

If my agency had forwarded my notice immediately, landlord had to pay back some amount.

Can the landlord refuse to accept the initial date I sent out the notice as it Was not my fault the agency failed to forward my notice?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi,
What does your tenancy contract say about how and who you should give notice to?
If tenancy contract says you needed to give notice to landlord (and providing you have his contact details) then you should have done this.
If the agent has power of attorney and their details are in the contract - then they should follow the date you gave.
Also check whether contract mentions method of notice - maybe it should have been by courier delivered letter - not email. Remember - if the landlord wants to change contract terms it has to be by delivered letter, not email.
Once you know what the contract says - you will be in a better position to judge whether you are in the right or the landlord.
Agents in UAE are generally useless - so don't let the agents incompetence cost you money.
Best of luck
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve,

Thank you for your answer.

Yes the agency acts on behalf of both of us. I read the contract carefully and it does not mention method of notice and how it should be delivered. It only states "both parties undertake a 2 months notice if they do not wish to renew the contract."

The landlord argues that since I had his email address, I could have sent it to him as well. However, since the agency always handled all the communication and I had never direct contact with the landlord, I did not see the need to sent him the notice as well.

Would the Rental Committee also see it this way?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Yeh, this is one of those messy situations...

The landlord is right in arguing that it will be two months as per the date on which he received the email. You would do the same if you were the landlord...

On the other hand, the agency screwed you over in that respect. What can you do? Well, you can try Dubai Land Department. I guess you would need Tenancy Dispute section or something like that. They are good people and will probably call them in and tell them to sort it out.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Did you set the email up so you received read receipts that confirm the agent received and read the email? If so, forward those to the landlord to prove you sent the email. Not sure if that would make any difference, but it'd be worth a go. In truth, if it had been me and I wanted to get out of the contract, I'd have been on the 'phone chasing it up rather than just leaving it to chance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts