Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a counter balance to Hombre's post about Being Spanish I was thinking about the things that I do differently to Spaniards and the things that stood out as being different when I first came.

This came to me as I was explaining to a student that 8:00 pm is the evening in the UK, not the afternoon and it used to cause me a lot of confusion when Spanish people said to me I'll see you at 8:00 in the afternoon.

The 24 hour clock is used a lot more here. My dad thinks I'm being "cocky" if I use the 24 hour clock in an email to him .

They keep jam and honey in the fridge.

They, and now I, :cool2: wear sunglasses in the winter!

Any more of these "foibles"?????

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
........ seriously tho. I find that the Spanish mentaility is different. For example, they flair up and shout, but they dont tend to let it go any further and their anger goes as quick as it came. They are much more passionate both in anger and laughter. The Spanish dont like being told what to do - possibly a throw back from their years under Franco.

They seem to me to much more hard working and conscientious than us Brits and they seem to be much more proud of their country and their surroundings - those little old ladies who sweep their steps every morning come rain or shine... that just wouldnt happen in the UK

Jo xxx

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
For me the main difference (and a positive one) is that, like most of southern Europe, family is still regarded as sacrosanct. It practically doesn't exist in most of Britain - not vanished entirely but hard to find

·
Registered
19,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
........ seriously tho. I find that the Spanish mentaility is different. For example, they flair up and shout, but they dont tend to let it go any further and their anger goes as quick as it came. They are much more passionate both in anger and laughter. The Spanish dont like being told what to do - possibly a throw back from their years under Franco.

They seem to me to much more hard working and conscientious than us Brits and they seem to be much more proud of their country and their surroundings - those little old ladies who sweep their steps every morning come rain or shine... that just wouldnt happen in the UK

Jo xxx
I don't know about passionate but gesticulating when talking, be it arguing or just discussing is definitley a difference. I throw my arms about a lot more now when talking and it is widely commented upon by the Brit side of the family.
And talking about little old ladies, have you noticed how older women just don't drive :car: here and there aren't a lot of older men who do either. If they do, it's normally in the country.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
And talking about little old ladies, have you noticed how older women just don't drive :car: here and there aren't a lot of older men who do either. If they do, it's normally in the country.

........in those little axium cars AAAAAGGGHHH!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
348 Posts
I just think they're lovely...all we see is courteousness and politeness and kindness. It's like an age gone by...but maybe it's only like that around here. Yeah, they can't drive but no one is perfect. We can learn a lot from the Spanish, but also they could learn from us. Main gripes are , although they adore babies/children, they smoke in front of them..even whilst holding them...makes me wince....Their general loudness..getting used to that though. An awful habit of leaving car engines running whilst, delivering, dropping off and talking, saying goodnight..etc..etc. They just love noise.
But overall..no regrets..we could'nt be in a better place.

·
Registered
19,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just think they're lovely...all we see is courteousness and politeness and kindness. It's like an age gone by...but maybe it's only like that around here. Yeah, they can't drive but no one is perfect. We can learn a lot from the Spanish, but also they could learn from us. Main gripes are , although they adore babies/children, they smoke in front of them..even whilst holding them...makes me wince....Their general loudness..getting used to that though. An awful habit of leaving car engines running whilst, delivering, dropping off and talking, saying goodnight..etc..etc. They just love noise.
But overall..no regrets..we could'nt be in a better place.
Yep! The smoking and the engine running should be on the list. I think progress is being made on the smoking front, end hopefully will be made on the engine running soon.

On the positive side the attention given to children is just wonderful. I remember when my daughter was little, getting stopped every 5 mins in the street. My Mum and Dad couldn't get over it. They thought it was only her who got all the attention though as they were so besotted with her they didn't see the other kids get exactly the same treatment!!

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Spanish cars are not fitted with indicators.
Spanish people always smile at you.
It is obligatory to drive with a mobile phone glued to your ear.
Spanish people know the difference between things that are trivial and those that are iomportant.

·
Administrator
36,395 Posts
Spanish people know the difference between things that are trivial and those that are iomportant.
yes, they do almost always smile at you, don't they:)

and always say 'buenos dias' to everyone when they walk into a small bar or shop:D

that took a bit of getting used to - at first I just thought that everyone knew everyone else:confused2:, then one day when I was the only one in the pharmacy I realised that it was just politeness, and they probably thought I was rude not to reply:eek:, so I fought my British reserve & now say hi with the best of them

·
Registered
348 Posts
Oh..I forgot, and dog****..or is that the French??...Oops, don't get me going on that..

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Oh..I forgot, and dog****..or is that the French??...Oops, don't get me going on that..
Its cetainly rare in Spain to see dog owners picking up their dogs "offerings", And there's always plenty around to tread in lol

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Rubbish is something else thats different in Spain. The spanish deal with differently. I dont know if its where I live, but apart from towns, theres often a lot of litter left laying around, especially around the bin areas, lots of stray cats that live in the bins too!

Thats another difference I fear, the Spanish attitude towards animals - are us brits too soft or are the Spanish uncaring about animals???

Jo xxx

·
Registered
348 Posts
Rubbish is something else thats different in Spain. The spanish deal with differently. I dont know if its where I live, but apart from towns, theres often a lot of litter left laying around, especially around the bin areas, lots of stray cats that live in the bins too!

Thats another difference I fear, the Spanish attitude towards animals - are us brits too soft or are the Spanish uncaring about animals???

Jo xxx
You hit 2 nails on the head there Jo. Their attitude to animals leaves a lot to be desired. But their approach to their environment is appalling. Young and old alike just discard everything wherever they are standing. I once asked a neighbour about this and he explained "there are people who get paid to pick it up ".
So why do we love them so much ??

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
We ALWAYS pick up after Our Little Azor but all too often there's nowhere to dispose of what is, in OLA's case, a very heavy bagful.
It's not very pleasant walking along the beach for an hour or so with a fragrant bag of canine excrementos dangling from your arm so I'm afraid that often, faut de mieux, I chuck the bag in the sea.
It's the owners of little dogs that are often the least bothered to pick up, though, or so the evidence would indicate.
Spaniards do seem extra fond of yapping little dogs.

·
Registered
348 Posts
We ALWAYS pick up after Our Little Azor but all too often there's nowhere to dispose of what is, in OLA's case, a very heavy bagful.
It's not very pleasant walking along the beach for an hour or so with a fragrant bag of canine excrementos dangling from your arm so I'm afraid that often, faut de mieux, I chuck the bag in the sea.
It's the owners of little dogs that are often the least bothered to pick up, though, or so the evidence would indicate.
Spaniards do seem extra fond of yapping little dogs.
I'm treading on thin ice here Mary but here goes............. Round here, every 50 metres there are signs saying "no perros en la playa"...it does'nt mean a thing...dogs abound. It seems most owners think "that can't possibly apply to my dog". "my dog is a special dog".
Well. I'm sorry, it bloody is'nt ! It's a dog and it defecates and urinates in an area that is popularised by children and families.
Children especially are prone to disease from dog "poo". I find it appalling that dog owners take their pets to an area like a beach.
I appreciate I am leaving myself open to a barrage of criticism here, I am in a minority...I know that, but I make no apologies for my stance. I see dogs with sunglasses on,... baseball caps,... carried in bags/baskets, ...riding pillion on bikes...with parasols..wearing jackets... in baby pushchairs...what the hell !!!
I cannot understand why a supposed animal lover would seek to humiliate that animal by making it suffer the above.
I predict that pretty soon , somewhere in the world, a dog will be born with no legs..because evolution will have decided they don't need them cos they get carried everywhere in bloody bags etc..!!!!
Obviously this does'nt apply to what I call "proper dogs " ie; the big ones.
That's it !..rant over...now bring it on.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
I'm treading on thin ice here Mary but here goes............. Round here, every 50 metres there are signs saying "no perros en la playa"...it does'nt mean a thing...dogs abound. It seems most owners think "that can't possibly apply to my dog". "my dog is a special dog".
Well. I'm sorry, it bloody is'nt ! It's a dog and it defecates and urinates in an area that is popularised by children and families.
Children especially are prone to disease from dog "poo". I find it appalling that dog owners take their pets to an area like a beach.
I appreciate I am leaving myself open to a barrage of criticism here, I am in a minority...I know that, but I make no apologies for my stance. I see dogs with sunglasses on,... baseball caps,... carried in bags/baskets, ...riding pillion on bikes...with parasols..wearing jackets... in baby pushchairs...what the hell !!!
I cannot understand why a supposed animal lover would seek to humiliate that animal by making it suffer the above.
I predict that pretty soon , somewhere in the world, a dog will be born with no legs..because evolution will have decided they don't need them cos they get carried everywhere in bloody bags etc..!!!!

I dont think they should be on a beach in the summer, especially when there are lots of people there, but in the winter I cant see the harm, especially if their poo is picked up and taken away!! :eek:

Jo xxx

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
I agree with everything you've said, especially about 'proper' dogs. You'd love Our Little Azor -there are photos in my album, if you're that interested.:)
We would never put OLA in baseball caps etc. He is a much-loved DOG. He needs and gets a long walk every day, whatever the weather and a short sniffing walk round the block before his bedtime.
We never take him on the beach between the beginning of May and October and our beaches are deserted after that period, apart from other dogs. We can't stop him peeing but we always pick up. Horses and their riders use our beaches even during the season -that's much more anti-social. Dogs are allowed on beaches here between October and the end of April.
We are also very aware that some people don't like dogs, even handsome ones like OLA, so he is not allowed to pester people. Trouble is, he looks so cute that people call him over which is a very silly thing to do to a very large strange dog.
Our problem is that all the campo walks have pine trees and it's the 'procession' season so the beach is the safe substitute.

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
I chuck the bag in the sea.
QUOTE]

I chuck the bag in the sea is a big :hand: no no I'm afraid!
I know it's not a good solution -we do use biodegradable bags -but seriously, without receptacles to put the bags in, what can you do?
Fortunately, our dog doesn't always excrete outside as we have a large garden which is practically a field and he knows his loo is there. He never excretes on pavements, just as well as there are no receptacles around there either.
We do try our best to be socially responsible but the thought of carrying a full bag back home is not appealing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.