Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have come across a few people claiming that they were unsuccessful in getting interviews scheduled from recruiter, so they paid headhunters to get interviews scheduled for them.

So who exactly are these headhunters, and how to find them in Australia? I always thought the only difference between recruiters and headhunters was that recruiters are usually a group and use a passive approach, whereas headhunters are individual who actively help in recruitment.

I just wanted to get a clear picture about this, because these headhunters can be used as a backup to get interviews scheduled, in case it doesn't work with recruiters. I suppose their charges would be worth it.

P.S. If you prefer criticizing me about how getting a job requires skills and I'm trying 'shortcuts', kindly do not post at all. I just want to be sure of every possible way of getting interviews scheduled.

Reactions: tirupoti

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
I have come across a few people claiming that they were unsuccessful in getting interviews scheduled from recruiter, so they paid headhunters to get interviews scheduled for them.

So who exactly are these headhunters, and how to find them in Australia? I always thought the only difference between recruiters and headhunters was that recruiters are usually a group and use a passive approach, whereas headhunters are individual who actively help in recruitment.

I just wanted to get a clear picture about this, because these headhunters can be used as a backup to get interviews scheduled, in case it doesn't work with recruiters. I suppose their charges would be worth it.

P.S. If you prefer criticizing me about how getting a job requires skills and I'm trying 'shortcuts', kindly do not post at all. I just want to be sure of every possible way of getting interviews scheduled.
Hi,
I always that that you found a Recruiter and a Headhunter found you!
Most headhunters work on behalf of the company that is looking for a particular employee - not generally on behalf of a candidate.
A company employs a headhunter to subtly approach people working for direct competitors and then tries to poach them for their client.
In general - companies should be paying someone to find them employees.
Employees should not pay to find a job!!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I always that that you found a Recruiter and a Headhunter found you!
Most headhunters work on behalf of the company that is looking for a particular employee - not generally on behalf of a candidate.
A company employs a headhunter to subtly approach people working for direct competitors and then tries to poach them for their client.
In general - companies should be paying someone to find them employees.
Employees should not pay to find a job!!
Cheers
Steve
Thanks for clarifying!
I agree that candidates should never pay for getting a job, especially if they are skilled professionals. But considering the fact that recruiters in Australia are so much against interviewing new immigrants and impose artificial requirements (such as local experience, cultural fit etc.) which are not specified by the employers themselves, I suppose it is not such a bad idea for them to seek out headhunters who do charge candidates. Unless of course, the new immigrant has a lot of contacts and is able to directly contact the employers, thereby bypassing recruiters entirely.

Just an idea, because I don't know how it works over there.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Hey funkyzoom,

Headhunters are recruiters too. However, typically the consultants who work on senior level assignments which involves competition talent mapping and approaching passive candidates are referred to as "headhunters" within the recruitment industry.

What you are referring to, I presume, is employing the services of career coaches/ executive mentors or coaches. This is a trend in OZ. I too had been approached by a couple of these coaches who demand a fee from you for helping you find employment (they do not guarantee it though;))

They provide a variety of services which you can pick and choose and pay fees accordingly. These include providing you the database (names/no/email ids) of the respective HR heads/ business heads in your target industry whom you can connect with directly. Or they will prepare your resume/ LinkedIn profile and market you as an ideal client to their database of clients including coaching you on how to give interviews etc. They can also provide you these services with you still being in your home country.

These services don't come cheap though and I was quoted as high as $6500(for sr. executives) where they would do all of the above, including continuous mentoring and career coaching for 3 years.

Hope I have been able to give you come clarity

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey funkyzoom,

Headhunters are recruiters too. However, typically the consultants who work on senior level assignments which involves competition talent mapping and approaching passive candidates are referred to as "headhunters" within the recruitment industry.

What you are referring to, I presume, is employing the services of career coaches/ executive mentors or coaches. This is a trend in OZ. I too had been approached by a couple of these coaches who demand a fee from you for helping you find employment (they do not guarantee it though;))

They provide a variety of services which you can pick and choose and pay fees accordingly. These include providing you the database (names/no/email ids) of the respective HR heads/ business heads in your target industry whom you can connect with directly. Or they will prepare your resume/ LinkedIn profile and market you as an ideal client to their database of clients including coaching you on how to give interviews etc. They can also provide you these services with you still being in your home country.

These services don't come cheap though and I was quoted as high as $6500(for sr. executives) where they would do all of the above, including continuous mentoring and career coaching for 3 years.

Hope I have been able to give you come clarity
Thanks a ton for the clarification!
That IS a really high price. From what I have heard, recruiters almost always ignore new immigrants so if one of these coaches can just get an interview or two scheduled for me, I suppose I can take it from there.
If possible, please clarify this for me as well:- http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...experience-considered-if-im-unpaid-leave.html

·
Registered
113 Posts
That IS a really high price. From what I have heard, recruiters almost always ignore new immigrants so if one of these coaches can just get an interview or two scheduled for me, I suppose I can take it from there.
If possible, please clarify this for me as well:- http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...experience-considered-if-im-unpaid-leave.html
Good luck to you, FunkyZoom. Can you check with your friends who told you about paying headhunters/recruiters whether they can make me a super hero if i pay them too?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck to you, FunkyZoom. Can you check with your friends who told you about paying headhunters/recruiters whether they can make me a super hero if i pay them too?
Cut out the sarcasm already. I specifically mentioned that I don't know how it works in Oz. If you can't say something relevant, kindly refrain from saying anything at all. And your lame attempt at sarcasm won't really help in any way.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cut out the sarcasm already. I specifically mentioned that I don't know how it works in Oz. If you can't say something relevant, kindly refrain from saying anything at all. And your lame attempt at sarcasm won't really help in any way.
I know sarcasm wont help but you really think your attempt at hiring someone to find you a job will work? Think about it. What do you mean you don't know how it works here Australia? Would you even want to work for a company that hires people via recruiters who are paid to set up candidates for interviews? Sun always rises in the east and sets in the west, buddy. Too bad if you are ignorant about it.
Just like you have a problem with sarcasm, I have a problem with stupidity. Cut out the stupidity.

Do you really expect people to answer you question here

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you really think your attempt at hiring someone to find you a job will work? Think about it. What do you mean you don't know how it works here in Australia? Sun rises from the east and sets in the west.
I specifically mentioned that they only get interviews scheduled, and not get me a job. And please cut it out with those immature analogies. I'm not talking about the sun here. And if you didn't know, there ARE changes in the way recruitments happen in different countries.

And on top of that...I was only asking 'IF' it works that way. A big 'IF'. I didn't make any 'statements' saying that what I heard is absolutely true.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know sarcasm wont help but you really think your attempt at hiring someone to find you a job will work? Think about it. What do you mean you don't know how it works here Australia? Would you even want to work for a company that hires people via recruiters who are paid to set up candidates for interviews? Sun always rises in the east and sets in the west, buddy. Too bad if you are ignorant about it.
Just like you have a problem with sarcasm, I have a problem with stupidity. Cut out the stupidity.

Do you really expect people to answer you question here
For your kind information, dear sir. Check this out:-
What is the Difference Between a Headhunter and a Recruiter? - CVTips.com
It says "Headhunters can be paid either by the companies looking for employees or the job seeker looking for work. So don't be surprised if your headhunter asks for a placement fee when they successfully find you a job. "

And if you have a problem with stupidity, you are most welcome to REFRAIN from answering question you think are stupid. I didn't come over to your house, and invite you with a red carpet to answer my question. You answered yourself. What is stupid to you, may be a genuine query for someone else.

·
Registered
758 Posts
There are people you can hire to write you a resume. And there are TAFE courses (paid or free) to help you prepare the interview and resume.

If recruiters will not help, the best approach would be to contact companies directly.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are people you can hire to write you a resume. And there are TAFE courses (paid or free) to help you prepare the interview and resume.

If recruiters will not help, the best approach would be to contact companies directly.
Yeah, you are right. Contacting employers directly is always the best option, since they don't differentiate between immigrants or local candidates, as well as some other aspects which recruiters always insist on. Problem is, it is not so easy to directly contact employers without actually knowing someone who works fr them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
For your kind information, dear sir. Check this out:-
What is the Difference Between a Headhunter and a Recruiter? - CVTips.com
It says "Headhunters can be paid either by the companies looking for employees or the job seeker looking for work. So don't be surprised if your headhunter asks for a placement fee when they successfully find you a job. "

And if you have a problem with stupidity, you are most welcome to REFRAIN from answering question you think are stupid. I didn't come over to your house, and invite you with a red carpet to answer my question. You answered yourself. What is stupid to you, may be a genuine query for someone else.

not for getting you an interview. getting an interview depends on your skill set. That's all.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

not for getting you an interview. getting an interview depends on your skill set. That's all.
Yeah right, so there will be more incentive for them to actually arrange an interview because no one an get a job without an interview. I agree that clearing an interview depends on skill set and communications, but getting that interview depends on so many other factors (such as cultural fit, local experience etc.) which can't easily be fulfilled by new immigrants. So in that case, I do suppose there is no harm in agreeing to pay the headhunter after securing a job.

This is what this link What is a Headhunter? And What’s the Difference Between a Headhunter, a Recruiter and a Sourcer? says:-
"a headhunter will only be involved with introducing the candidate to the hiring company and perhaps scheduling a first interview".
That first interview should be good enough for people to give it their best shot. But getting that first interview is really tough for new immigrants if they go through recruiters.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Yeah, you are right. Contacting employers directly is always the best option, since they don't differentiate between immigrants or local candidates, as well as some other aspects which recruiters always insist on. Problem is, it is not so easy to directly contact employers without actually knowing someone who works fr them.
Hi,
Of course employers differentiate between immigrants or local candidates!
Your CV will contain your nationality, education and previous experience - so it will be obvious where you are from.
All employers will bear this in mind when recruiting people - as it will have a huge impact on their business if they recruit somebody who will not fit into their company ethos and team.
I would be very reluctant to recruit someone like you moving to a country for the first time - if I can find a candidate locally that has the same skills.
The main reason for this is that everybody takes time to settle into a new country - visas, accommodation, phones, cars, licenses etc.
As an employer, it is far easier for me to hire someone who has already got everything in place and is already established into the country - I would not want to pay for your learning curve.
The exception is if I cannot find someone who matches my requirements locally.
Harsh maybe - but such is life.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Hi,
Of course employers differentiate between immigrants or local candidates!
Your CV will contain your nationality, education and previous experience - so it will be obvious where you are from.
All employers will bear this in mind when recruiting people - as it will have a huge impact on their business if they recruit somebody who will not fit into their company ethos and team.
I would be very reluctant to recruit someone like you moving to a country for the first time - if I can find a candidate locally that has the same skills.
The main reason for this is that everybody takes time to settle into a new country - visas, accommodation, phones, cars, licenses etc.
As an employer, it is far easier for me to hire someone who has already got everything in place and is already established into the country - I would not want to pay for your learning curve.
The exception is if I cannot find someone who matches my requirements locally.
Harsh maybe - but such is life.
Cheers
Steve
Valid point of view, I agree. But does it matter even in case of mid-level jobs where the type of work a candidate does, is not really dependent on the country or work culture?
For example, I agree that someone like a team lead or a project manager needs to know the local work culture. But if someone is a junior or mid level employee who does the same kind of work irrespective of the country, doesn't have to manage people under him, and doesn't usually have direct interaction with clients, would he still be a liability for an employer?
Also, if you feel that a new immigrant has the necessary skills and experience, would you give him a chance to see if he fits in, by interviewing him? Or would you discard the CV immediately after realizing that he is a new immigrant?
Sorry if I seem ignorant or rude. Just trying to get an employer's point of view here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey funkyzoom,
If recruiters almost always ignore new immigrants then so many of our senior colleagues who have made the move would not have been placed in jobs...

My two cents..connect with the recruiters in your field of work through LinkedIn or source their email from their websites and mail them your resume along with a crisp cover letter letting them know about your visa status and your availability in OZ. Ask for a meeting with them. Many of them will oblige. When you have a face to face meeting with the recruiters and make an impression with your confidence, skills and clear and concise communication, they too will be confident in recommending your candidature to their clients as well as their other team members for relevant opportunities.

Also, it goes without saying that you will apply directly on company websites. Try and find who the HR person is in the organisations and connect with them on LinkedIn and ask for a coffee meet; if possible. Here very few oblige. But you never know.

With regards to your query regarding the number of years of experience, don't fret about the same. A couple of months here and there doesn't make a difference. You can mention you have 5 years of work experience and apply for jobs accordingly. It's not an issue at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts