Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I have a strange situation. Got my UK fiancée visa and just arrived in Glasgow yesterday. I flew Chicago to Dublin. Went thru customs
at Dublin and got my passport stamped. Then my connecting flight Dublin to Glasgow. I was excited to finally flash my visa at immigration but at Glasgow airport they didn't
have us go thru customs so I don't have a stamp showing my entry into the
UK. Is this normal? Or a problem? I have my ticket stubs and boarding passes. I don't even know if I need to do something here. I flew Aer Lingus and got the feeling they considered the Dublin to Glasgow a regional flight. I even asked the flight attendants if we would go thru customs in Glasgow and they said yes. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Hello - I have a strange situation. Got my UK fiancée visa and just arrived in Glasgow yesterday. I flew Chicago to Dublin. Went thru customs
at Dublin and got my passport stamped. Then my connecting flight Dublin to Glasgow. I was excited to finally flash my visa at immigration but at Glasgow airport they didn't
have us go thru customs so I don't have a stamp showing my entry into the
UK. Is this normal? Or a problem? I have my ticket stubs and boarding passes. I don't even know if I need to do something here. I flew Aer Lingus and got the feeling they considered the Dublin to Glasgow a regional flight. I even asked the flight attendants if we would go thru customs in Glasgow and they said yes. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks
It's immigration that lets you into the country, not customs. Customs make sure you are not bringing anything into the country that isn't allowed or taking anything out of the country that you shouldn't be. Dublin is in Ireland, not the UK. However, it is part of the common travel area which means there are no border checks between Ireland and the UK so it is not a strange situation at all. This is why it is strongly advised NOT to enter on a settlement visa through Ireland. Your best bet is to plan a one day trip out of the UK asap but NOT to Ireland and return through border control so that you visa is validated and avoid potential problems in the future when renewing your visa.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
What has happened is you received permission to enter Ireland for 3 months (Irish immigration don't/can't activate UK visa), during which you are also allowed to stay in UK (you don't need a visa for UK). But your settlement visa hasn't been activated, so your stay in UK isn't as fiancée but as temporary visitor. So in order for you to be married and switch to spouse leave, you must get your visa activated first. The only way you can do is as per the instruction above, which you should get done as soon as possible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.