Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you decide on selling your property or choose to rent it out? My husband is swaying towards keeping our home here *just incase* and he thinks it would be the better option, considering house prices have dropped in the UK, until times are different.

I am just interested in knowing what others of you did or are going to do.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
We left the UK in 2007 so house prices were different then, but we sold our home (although we have other property in the UK) so that we could buy a home in Australia.

We didn't want a 'just in case' since Australia would be our new home and we would make it work. We've been here 2.5 years and we love it here, although as you read through some of the posts you'll see that other members have returned 'home'.

You do have to think about the financial side of things - if you're in negative equity now may not be a good time to sell.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi
My other half wants to rent.... i want to sell up when we go, we will be in a good position and by the time we go, the property market should be better...fingers crossed.
he wants to have something "just incase" but i just think that it will make him less willing to make it work out there. hhmmmm...

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first time we went to Oz, we rented our house out because we knew we were only going for a year. However, it wasn't without its problems (like the agent trying to phone us in the middle of the night because of maintenance issues or tenant problems) so it ended up being quite stressful. If you have someone you trust who can help you with this, it would be better (think about how you might organise a major repair from abroad - not straight forward!).

This time, as we know we are going for the long term, we sold our house back in the summer when the house prices rose a bit, and we are glad we did. We have money in the bank and we're all set to go (after all, you have to pay for shipping etc...relocation is expensive!).

Ask your husband why he needs a "just in case" - does he harbour doubts that he wants to discuss further? This might not really be about the house and might be about the move itself.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The first time we went to Oz, we rented our house out because we knew we were only going for a year. However, it wasn't without its problems (like the agent trying to phone us in the middle of the night because of maintenance issues or tenant problems) so it ended up being quite stressful. If you have someone you trust who can help you with this, it would be better (think about how you might organise a major repair from abroad - not straight forward!).

This time, as we know we are going for the long term, we sold our house back in the summer when the house prices rose a bit, and we are glad we did. We have money in the bank and we're all set to go (after all, you have to pay for shipping etc...relocation is expensive!).

Ask your husband why he needs a "just in case" - does he harbour doubts that he wants to discuss further? This might not really be about the house and might be about the move itself.
From his mouth " i am a very cautious person, not usually willing to take risks,i wont know untill im living out there"

so you see, ours is a situaition! we have (me and the kids) lots to work on, we both have the same reasons for wanting to go, but he has more reservations than me,
back to the renting out, i have a father who lives close so that would be an option but, i dont want the hassal of things going wrong dumping on dad and so think selling up would be best,
descisions descisions,:confused:
i guess thats why a move takes a while, so you have plenty of time to think things through properly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem We want to move to melbourne this year and have looked in to renting but would need to top up the mortgage from Australia so wouldnt really work but my OH keeps saying 'what if' 'just in case' . I can see where he is coming from but if we go we need to make it work and if we know we have a house back home can we do that? Plus we need some of the money to fund the move. I feel like were going round in circle's its a nightmare!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the same problem We want to move to melbourne this year and have looked in to renting but would need to top up the mortgage from Australia so wouldnt really work but my OH keeps saying 'what if' 'just in case' . I can see where he is coming from but if we go we need to make it work and if we know we have a house back home can we do that? Plus we need some of the money to fund the move. I feel like were going round in circle's its a nightmare!!!!
Hi i know what you mean, its realy difficult, there will always be doubts but at the end of the day what were doing is for the kids and i think its def for the best.
i guess we will talk our selves dry about it and thats the whole point of the time it takes, to make sure you are making the right descision,:rolleyes:
it is a vicious circle lol!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
If you are going to rent out interview letting / management agents and see which one suits you. You're not simply thinking about management costs but also their ability to rent out the place and look after it for you.

I know people who check on their agent by getting a friend to phone up looking for a place to rent and seeing what their manner is like :)

You can train agents to contact you via email or set times when to call you and you can authorise them to make repairs up to a certain limit without contacting you. We have investment property still in the UK and this is what we do.

For the 'just in case' people try to find out what the concerns are... Be specific for example "I'll miss family" and other what ifs. I knew that I would miss family and friends but I also knew that I could go out and make some new friends too. We decided that if we didn't like the first area we settled in that we could move to another area. We didn't pick a hot area because we don't like it too hot (although it still hit 41.8 degs C here yesterday! ) so try to consider how you want to live when you get here.

Hope that helps,
Karen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts