Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm exiting the country July 29. I am on a 13a Probationary visa. We decided not to convert it because we will move to the USA for our daughter's education.

I rode the motorcycle 4 hours to tacloban to get the ECC from the Immigration Bureau only to have him tell me that I just show my ACR card at the airport and pay a fee.

He said I don't need an ECC that my ACR card is how I exit.

It doesn't make any sense to me and I can't see anything on the IB website that says I don't need an ECC.

What happens if I get to the Airport and I don't have it? Will I not be allowed to leave?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you are leaving the Philippines for good on the 29th of Jul then you need to get an ECC-A in advance, if you are leaving temporarily you would get an ECC-B which you would get at the airport. Reference the Immigration site FAQ: Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC)
I mean... how do they know you're not coming back? What is to stop you from just getting the ECC-B and then no returning? Would they deny entry the next time you come back? Or do they need to see a return ticket?

Edit: On a side note... I'm real happy the IB own employee turn me away telling me I didn't need to get it. I told him I was leaving for good and everything. And I rode 4 hours each way to Tacloban on my motorcycle.

·
Registered
774 Posts
On the 15th of May I went back to the US for my grandsons graduation. I showed them my ACR and Passport paid the fee and was done upon return same thing only I had the receipt from when I left just in case the rules changed while I was gone. But no issue there either. But I have a a 13a permanent

Reactions: SublationUSAF

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
Immigrant Card

They didn't ask for proof you were returning?

LOL? How do they enforce people to get ECC-A?
If you take your I-Card with you and leave for more than a year the fee's will add up big time, this happened to me, I left for 3 years, wasn't sure if I was coming back but I did and my fee's for my Permanent Resident Non-quota 13 Visa, came up to 14,000 pesos for simply taking my card with me.

I found out much later (wasn't on a forum) that I should have left my I-Card with my wife and she has to take it in annually for check in (310 pesos), forget about your passport stamps and all that, they fine us.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would they care, I think the fees are the higher for the ECC-B than the ECC-A, since it includes the reentry permit etc.
AHh... gotcha.

I'm just trying to avoid going to Cebu. I don't want to go to Tacloban again. Their IB office is like 2 desks in a tiny building inside a slum. Clearly the people there don't know how to do anything other than extend a tourist visa and smell like a toilet.

I don't really understand why they just can't make it so that you buy the ECC-A at the airport like you do a B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts